Thursday, June 28, 2007
Gymnastics Shmynastics!!
Argg.. So I forked over all sorts of dough to sign my kids up for gymnastics this summer, including the $50/kid annual registration fee. I was really excited about it and so were my kids, right? Well, today we went for our second week and, guess what... It turned into a complete disaster!! Oh my gosh, it's 6 hours later and I'm still recovering. So Sam had his class first, which went well except for the fact that he was coughing his hideous cough the entire time. Everyone everywhere kept looking over at him and making shocked faces. If I kept him home every time he got that hideous cough, we would literally spend half of his life avoiding activities. But then when I do take him places like today, it is truly the most embarrasing thing to me. I literally want to bury myself in a hole. But I survived it, like I always do. Then it was time for Sarah's class. It's a parent/child class, so I got Sam settled down on a bench with his cough, water, and skittles, and started doing the crab walk with Sarah. After about 10 minutes, he was done with sitting on the sidelines. He came over and tried to make himself a part of this class. Frightening cough and all. He was a complete distraction. Acting totally out of control. Every time I tried to discipline him, he would throw the most childish, obnoxious tantrum. (This is so unlike him, by the way.) Finally, I had to drag him off of the floor while he's kicking and screaming that I'm the meanest mom he has ever had. I took him to the bathroom and did something that I have never done before. I slapped him!! He was completely shocked. I was completely angry. I had had it. I went and scooped up Sarah and we made a very dramatic exit. I never want to step foot in that place again. Yet I've already dropped $200 on it! I can't just leave that in the dust! What do I do?
Sighh... A day in the life of motherhood... Some days are so great and I'm thinking, this is so much fun. Then I go from thinking I'm not a bad mom to thinking I'm a complete failure as a mom in seconds. Anyone?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
you are the best. I totally admire you. I have no experience in the motherhood department and therefore have no advice. but I think you do an awesome job and I hope I am at least half the mom you are!
hey jo - i love your blog. I totally feel for you. Sometimes being a parent means being a jerk. If we spend all our parenting effort trying to keep our kids from crying or throwing a fit, they're sure to grow up to be spoiled, disfunctional turds.
Oh Jo.. My day has SUCKED too. It's in the stars or something. But on the subject of motherhood - you are one of the BEST moms I know. I can totally see how the situation escalated and I think you are amazing for taking them in the first place. UUGGGH. I can imagine you don't want to even remember that place exists but I am pretty sure every mom has felt like you did today. I still think about the day in McDonald's a long time ago when I got so mad at Jake and was just fed up and everyone was looking at me like I abused him. It's traumatic.
Is there any way to change the class times so you can leave Sam with a friend for Sarah's and v. versa if necessary? And just tell the people it's an asthmatic cough -it might help a little? I don't think anyone cares unless they feel like they're going to catch it.
Rest assured, you are amazing. I love you and hang in there.
Oh, Jo! What a nightmare! I totally understand your thought: "thinking I'm not a bad mom to thinking I'm a complete failure as a mom in seconds" I've had that so many times! But you're not. You're amazing. Here are some words from the song I named our blog after which I think you would appreciate, "Some days come clean, other days are sneaky. Some days take less, but most take more. Some days are slippy, other days are sloppy. Some days you can't stand the sight of a puppy."
You can well imagine with 6 kids how many times I went through that kind of mortification. I don't know why the ones I remember best are the times in church. I still watch mothers today and think how can she just calmly walk out of here. I just remember being red-faced and slithering out full of frustration.
All I have to offer is sympathy and know that you are doing even better than your best.
Mom
Jo, don't forget the time I dropped kicked Dave because he had pushed me to the end of my rope. He turned out just fine (I think) so don't be too hard on yourself. It's funny how kids just know the right buttons to push. I think you are a great mom and right now, your kids just are at a really difficult stage. I don't think it hurts kids to know that sometimes they can go too far. Good luck, don't give up on the class because it can only get better right?
Whoops, I didn't mean to make my comments annonymous. I just am so new to this blogging stuff.
Those days are so hard! I know I am posting late, but I haven't had a chance until now . . . Those days make the whole day not fun! I would make sure Sam knows that if he gets to go back he has to follow your rules! If not, then he can't go . . . I haven't had that experience yet, but I have had the so frustrated feeling! I hope you are feeling better. UGH those days make me cry! That helps too!
how can any guy look at her and not get rock hard thinking about what is under her swimsuit? I LOVE toddler pus-y
Post a Comment