Saturday, December 15, 2007

Sugarplums and angels

Dave recently did a pediatric surgery rotation. During this time, a physician from Mayo was in a terrible car accident while driving with his entire family. Tragically, he was killed in the accident, while his daughter, Suzy, suffered serious injuries. Everyone else was okay. Suzy was one of Dave's patients for the three months he was in the pediatric unit. Her family greatly appreciates Dave for his compassion and respect that he showed to them.

Miraculously, Suzy and her three sisters are performing in The Nutcracker here in Rochester this weekend. The family is so grateful to Dave and his dedicated efforts in getting Suzy where she is today that they sent him four tickets to the show so he could see her perform.

This afternoon, Sarah, Sam, Dave, and I, got all dressed up and went to the "theater." It was really quite fun. To be honest, I never in a million years thought the kids would last, but guess what! THEY DID! And they enjoyed it!! Sure, it got a little long, but that's to be expected. Sam said his favorite parts were the mice and "the girl with the nutcracker." We got to see Suzy and her three sisters dancing and their mother was thrilled to see us. It was a cute production, perfect for the kids. Afterwards, we went to a bakery and got some yummy desserts. It was such a fun way to spend our Saturday afternoon. We've never done anything like that as a family!

I'm so proud of Dave and all of the good that he accomplishes every day. I love you, babe!

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh wow what a story. How neat to see the difference Dave is making out in the world. And how totally fun that you guys went to the Nutcracker, AND the kids lasted throught it! I am amazed too. I can just picture you all sitting there and how cute your family is!

Kathi said...

Sugarplums and lumps in your throat. And tears in my eyes. I'm glad Dave was able to improve on such a tragic situation.
Well, now I gotta go redo my make-up before church.
I'm SO glad your kids had that experience!!

Anna said...

Ditto on the tears. Thanks for sharing.

kateworthi said...

So glad to hear that Dave helped Suzy so much! He's definitely talented! And I'm so glad you guys had such a fun time at the theater! ANd with time enough to write an amazing talk for today! You're an inspiration!

Elise said...

Hearing that story helps to remind me what a blessing it is to be married to a "healer"... not just a Doctor. Dave is wonderful for making a difference...

missliss5/Melissa said...

Joanna---hello from Dave's cousin! I found your Blog through a comment you made on Angie's. Found hers through a comment she left on a another cousin's website, etc. What fun to find your Blog. I've had fun reading back through some of your recent posts. I can't remember at what point in the whole long medical school/residency process Dave is at? As for us, Dan finally finished his orthopedic surgery residency next summer and we are heading to Florida for a one year fellowship. The rollercoaster is a long one, but boy are we excited to be in Florida for a year.

Just thought I'd say howdy---I, too, am completely addicted to reading and have to ban myself from reading after a certain time at night or I'll stay up all night long. :) If you ever want to see what our crew is up to, my blog is: misslissmelissa.blogspot.com.

Take care! Melissa

WIKKY said...

Oh how fun!!! I am so jealous. We used to go as kids with our cousins. Sooo exciting. Congrats to Dave for being such an awesome person (as always)