If you are wondering why I've slacked off on my blogging, let me tell you where my mind has been...
EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS!
It hit me out of nowhere. I was putting the kids to bed one night when all of a sudden- BOOM! Intense urgency consumed me. I was driven to obsession to put together my 72 hour kits and get down to business on my food storage. I have not rested since this night about two weeks ago. I have spent several hundred dollars putting together car kits and 72 hour kits for my family of four, plus a start on my three-month supply (thank you tax refund!). I have also spent several hours researching and trying to get a finger on where to begin and how to do it all in an organized fashion. I have made tons of progress and it has been a lot of fun. I'm totally excited about it and can't wait to spend any extra dollar that comes our way on flour, wheat, beans, water storage, etc... Do I sound like a total nerd or what??!
Anyway, that's where I've been...
And do not fear. I am not predicting that this sudden urgency is a prompting that I'll need it anytime soon. (I am not predicting that it isn't either, though...)
Post Script... If you need some motivation, READ THIS.
15 comments:
Thanks for your motivation, I'm right there with you now on this subject.
Good for your Jo! I know where I am coming when disaster strikes! :)
Good on you. I went to a class and have some awesoem resources if you want them!
Pamela
Way to go girl! It has been in my mind for awhile now but the problem is putting my thoughts into action. Skylar has gotten some of our water storage started with empty juice jugs lining the top of our kitchen cabinets...definitely a conversation starter when people come over!
wow... way to go! I still have food storage from when we were first married. I should probably go through it???? Wish me luck.
Oh Jo - I have been thinking that I needed to really stock up too! You are on fire with it!
You're my hero Jo. We had a pretty good food storage before we moved but we worked through it before we left Utah. Now, I have to build it up again.
By the way - I loved that story about your mom and brother and the peeps. I'm so glad I'm not the only one to make the mistake :)
Okay, Joanna, I am motivated-- where did you get your information?
Here's what helped me the most-- Start an inventory. Sit down at your Excel program and make a list. Start with your 3-month supply. Begin with the basics- flour, wheat, pasta, rice, oatmeal, beans, sugar, oil, etc. Figure out how many pounds of each of those you would need/want for your family. Then make a list of foods your family uses all the time. Things you are always pulling out of your pantry. Canned corn, cr of chick soup, etc. How much do you think your family would use in three months. Say you use cr of chick soup 2x a week. For 12 weeks then you want to be sure you have 24 cans of that. So make a column of those foods. Then a column for how much of that food you aim to have, how much you currently have, and how much you need to buy. Then take an inventory of your cupboards. Now you know where to spend your money next time you have a few extra bucks. Once that's all built up, do an inventory of just the basics for your year supply. That's how I recommend starting! Voila!
You are such a inspiration to me. Thanks for the encouraging words and your help so far! i love ya.
hum!!! i have some water stored!!!!
Good for you! I'm sure you feel so good knowing you are more prepared. The same thing happened to me 2 summers ago. A friend of mine got me all panicked and we were sure it was doomsday on a certain date (based on a rumor she had heard.) We didn't necessarily believe it, but just in case, you know? I was like you and was totally consumed for several weeks. I had not done very much in this area before and it was always a huge worry for me. I was so overwhelmed that I never knew where to start. I hadn't updated our 72-hour kits in years! So my friend and I seriously got our butts in gear. I updated the food storage, 72-hour kits, and bought tons of items to add to the preparedness section of our garage. Now I try to make it at least a yearly, if not twice a year thing to update everything. There is always so much more that can be done and bought, but at least now I feel very peaceful when I think about all of it. I'm sure you do too! I can't wait to see you guys this weekend!
Talk about a food-storage weirdo? I love food storage, I make my own wheat bread out of food storage, I buy wheat in bulk, I teach food storage classes, I love to go the cannery and I now have the calling Food Storage Specialist in my ward. I am the crazy food storage lady in my neighborhood. Welcome to the club!
Thanks, for all that info! You really inspired me... with part of the money that we are getting from President Bush...{hallileugh} my husband & I really want to get a start on it! :)
Cute blog you have.. hope you don't mind me peeking.. & I would love to keep peeking. Love, heather
www.theredlifesavers.blogspot.com
Are you still doing your food storage? Or are you onto another project?? :)
Post a Comment