Sunday, May 18, 2008

LetterBoxing

Our little family has a favorite hobby. We all love to do it. It has been the greatest way for us to spend our time together. It is called ... [LETTERBOXING] ...
Have you heard of it??
Some of you have heard me talk about it but I don't think many of you have actually gone and done it yourselves.
Well, you should.
Let me help you get on your way...

  • Read all about it. Click on "Clues" to find boxes that are planted near you.
  • Get a little notebook, stamp, and ink pad.

  • Come up with a cute nickname for your family. Sam dubbed us the Little Einsteins. You could be the "Fab Five", the Motley Crue, etc. etc.
  • Pick from the site what letterbox you want to start with and print out the clues.
  • Pick an afternoon and go out on an adventure!!

  • Follow the clues (really just directions) that should lead you right to the letterbox.

  • Pull the box out of it's natural hiding spot. There should be a notebook and stamp in there. Put your name and stamp in the notebook that you find in the box. Then use the stamp from the site to mark in your own personal notebook where your latest adventure was. We always write the date, who was with us, and maybe details of the day in our own notebook. We now have a super fun journal to look back on.
This hobby has taken us many beautiful places that we would not have gone to otherwise. It gives us a fun purpose to our hikes. The kids love it! We do it wherever we go since they are planted all over the country.


I cannot recommend this hobby enough!!!!!

You've got to give it a try. And keep me posted!

Here's some pics of our letterboxing adventures.



Above is Rice Lake in the Spring...



Below is Rice Lake in the Fall...

We love to find the waterfalls in Minnesota.

Above is Nerstrand Big Woods State Park, Hidden Falls

This one was from out latest vacation.
It was a waterfall found in Lilydale Park in St Paul.
The kids LOVED throwing rocks in the waterfall.

10 comments:

Elise said...

SERIOUSLY. Have you guys gone GeoCaching? It is exactly like this, but you use exact coordinates to find the caches. It is fabulous and has been a fun family past time for the last 4 years! We HAVE to chat about this : )

JoAnna said...

We knew that it was like GeoCaching, we just were keeping it low-tech. But I'm excited to talk to you more about it all! So glad you love it too!!

Kristin said...

Looks like I'll have to try that with the boys, they would love it. Thanks for the idea.

Heather said...

What a fantastic idea!! You are such a cute mom! My kiddos would think this would be so fun! I will hav't to try it this summer if we go any where fun!!! ;)

Kristi said...

That's awesome! I've never heard of it, we're going to try!

simply kris said...

I also am unschooled on letterboxing! I wish we had known when we resided in Minnetonka. MN is so beautiful and it would have been a magical experience to see it this way. Thanks for visiting where I Lowered the Bar. I love making new friends.

kateworthi said...

It looks so fun! I can't believe all the places I'm missing out on! Honestly, every time I've heard you talk about it, I want to do it - but I just forget that's even available. I'll definitely have to try it. Thanks for the reminder!

Haley said...

sounds so fun!!! we had friends in Seattle that did GeoCaching and we always wanted to go with them but never had a chance.

We will have to try letter boxing!!!!!

Camilla Millar said...

Wow, that sounds so cool. I am going to try it with the kids this summer!

missliss5/Melissa said...

Wow you got some sweet pictures! And I'm totally going to give letterboxing a try!