...by Jack Handey...
If you're traveling in a time machine and eating corn on the cob, I don't think it's going to affect things one way or the other. But here's the point I'm trying to make: corn on the cob is good, isn't it?
...by JoAnna Morris...
I've been thinking today...
You know, all my life I've heard women talk about learning to say no. There's so much going on in life and so much we could be doing but oftentimes we just need to tell people "no, I cannot do that." When hearing things like that, I've always thought to myself that I was good at saying no. That's easy for me.
However, lately, as I try to evaluate why I often feel like I'm just running around like crazy through life, I realize that I, too, need to start saying 'no' more.
However, I thought I was already good at that.
Never had that problem before, right?
Well, tonight it hit me (personal epiphany!)... I find no problem saying no to things that I don't really even want to do in the first place. Never really have. Sure, I'll do things I don't want to do, but if it's something that makes me feel like I'm being walked all over, then 'no'. If it's something that I don't want to do at the sacrifice of something else I need to do, then 'no'. Easy enough.
It's the things that I want to do that I find nearly impossible to say no to.
"Wanna make $100 bucks running this birthday party?"
"Uh yeah, I'll make it work for sure!! Dave is off that day. Sure he never has days off and we never get to be together as a family. But $100 bucks is $100 bucks right??"
"Wanna come over and watch movies all day and let the kids run wild?"
"Uh, YEAH! I'll make it work. I'll just deal with all those piles of laundry and dust at two in the morning next Friday. Because that's the next time I have a free moment. And even though Sarah has been starved for mommy-attention, there's always tomorrow, right?"
"Wanna drive to NYC and explore the sights?"
"Uh YEAH!! I'll find ten babysitters for the kids, coordinate their schedules, and go into credit card debt to make it work."
"Wanna get together tonight and chat and laugh with the girls until 3am?"
"Heck yes! Sure I'll be a grumpy mom tomorrow and snap at my kids left and right and be too tired to do all the things I need to do tomorrow. It's too much fun to pass up, right??"
Wanna eat this entire red velvet cake?
"Uh, Y-E-S PLEASE!! Who cares that I will gain ten pounds, hate myself tomorrow, as well as the next week when I can't fit into my pants anymore."
"Wanna have us over for dinner next Wednesday?" (The missionaries)
"Definitely." No matter that I won't be home at all that day until the exact minute that they should be arriving at the door. I will find some crazy way to make it work because I want to be able to do this.
Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is this... Red Velvet Cake is good, isn't it??
P.S. I find it necessary to point out that the things that I'm really doing all day are certainly not this selfish (excepting my Ellen hour and my exercise hour). I sure hope so, at least... But you get the drift, right?
18 comments:
Hey, I know you are always looking for a new book to read. I just read one I LOVED.... Check it out if you need a new one. Learning to Fly by Roxanne Henke
Wow, i really needed to hear these things today cause i have been feeling the same way. My friend called me last night & wanted me to host a jewelry party........ i love jewelry who are you kidding.. but, i had to say NO!
My life seems so complicated right now.. my husband has been on night float for 1 month & has 2 more months to go!!!!!!
So, no right now is the only word i know & it is so hard cause i love to try & do everything! :)
sorry for the sob story this morning! :)
p.s. give me the cake anyday!!!!
Such a good epiphany. I am like you in that I haven't found it ever difficult to say no to things I don't want to do. I do however have a saving grace when it comes to things I want to do. I'm totally indecisive. You probably already know that about me though.
Well, then, you might want to try a Red Velvet Bundt cake from "Nothing Bundt Cakes". But I'm not suggesting you fly right out here and get one!
Well I am suggesting you fly out here and get one because they are goooood!
Oh, bless your heart! Yes, you definately need to say NO to all of those things-all but the GNO till 3 am.
You say yes to everything and thats why you are the belle of Rochester, everyone's friend and mom extraordinaire.
I hear ya though.
I was totally agreeing with your mom's comment until the part where she said you don't need to fly right out here and get one. You definately do! It's totally worth it! The only problem is you'll go through bundt cake withdrawals. Tragic!
Amen Sista! It's so easy to say no to the things we don't want to do, but so hard to say no to things we do want to do. I totally agree with you and I need to be better at this!
Red Velvet cake is the bomb diggity!
Ok. So you forgot, would you mind driving to the airport immediatly following your root canal to pick up some lame stinky friends who didn't even pay gas money?
Mother Hen. I love you and you know it, I'm afraid my name could have been inserted in about oh everyone of those people you should have said no to.
...Maybe that is why you didn't call me back today...
xo.
First, never had Red Velvet.
Second, I had decided to say, "Yes." today to the kiddos. I am very good at "No." for them and have been feeling guilty.
I've had to get creative to how I say yes and I have not made them privvy to this info. I'd be in big trouble.
Ok my comment is on the flip side or maybe me just venting...I hate being the one that receives the NO. I'm terrible at asking and finally just did turn to one for help and got the "No, I just don't have time." I did want her to be honest and am glad she was but it still hurts and leaves me wishing I had never asked. Your post was perfect timing for me. Sorry for my ramble. Can I come over and join in devouring your cake.
Oh Jo - I JUST LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!
And you're one of the LEAST selfish people I know.
Let's hang out again soon (real soon)
Tell me as soon as you have figured out how to say "no"!
You are the one always thinking of the fun stuff and I never want to say no.
But I hear ya; it is kind of a love/hate thing. Love at first and hate later. Just like chocolate!!!
Love ya,
Jess
You are hilarious. You really have to see the new flick coming out with Jim Carrey where he says yes to everything. I bet you could relate. You are a wonderful person to do all of those fun things and still make it work at home. Way to go!!!
Come on Jo! it has been forever since a post. I need some pictures of Sam and Sarah
That's what I was going to say! Are you just saying no to your blog now?
If you don't give us pics of Sam and Sarah, you're going to have to give us pics of you and Dave on your cruise, and that might not be as thrilling.
Post a Comment