Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I’m Bitter

I’m bitter for so many reasons….

[First] of all, I’m bitter cold.

[Second] of all, I’m bitter from all the shoveling I’ve had to be doing.  I just came in from 45 minutes of shoveling.  Here’s the e-mail I sat down to after taking off my wet stuff.  (I’m signed up for personal forecast e-mails from our local news station.)

Subject:  How to get frostbite in 10 minutes or less

Dear JoAnna,

Temperatures are dropping to the coldest levels in nearly a decade out there tonight as lows dip to the mid 20s below zero. Winds will remain in the 10-15mph range tonight which will be strong enough to keep wind chills in the -35 to -50° range tonight through Friday morning. With wind chills this low, frostbite will occur in 10 minutes on exposed skin. Because of the dangerously cold wind chills, the National Weather Service has issued a Wind Chill Warning from today through Friday morning. Do your best to stay warm out there!

And it’s not just the coldness.  My house is falling apart.  I have boxes of junk sitting around from Christmas.  I feel like I have messes in every corner.  I’m barely (BARELY) staying on top of laundry and cleaning because I’ve been spending hours and hours (literally) clearing snow.  Whether it be shoveling or pushing around a crappy snow blower with a wheel that is falling off, literally.  (It’s a beast but I am grateful for every inch of snow that it clears for me.  It saves me from the days of soreness that follow when shoveling is my only option.)

[Third] of all, I’m bitter because I cannot catch up.  I honestly have a billionty and one things to do.  And every day, I’m lucky to get anything done at all.  Every time I sit down to unpack a box, Sarah needs to be wiped (AUGHHHH!!!!).  Every time I step in Sam’s room to start packing away old clothes, the phone rings.  Every time, I sit down to pay some bills, Sam begs to play Mouse Trap with me.  Honestly.  It is getting ridiculous.

I recognize that it’s completely silly of me to complain because I’m so blessed to be busy with wonderful things in my life.  I have great friends, I love going to the gym, and I enjoy volunteering in Sam’s classroom.  I love to play with my children and I love that they want to play with me.  I’m grateful for my little (very) part-time job.  I also recognize that some evenings I do have time, but I choose to relax by cross-stitching instead.  Sometimes I’m just too exhausted to do anything else by the end of the day. 

However, the disorder is beginning to drive me b-o-n-k-e-r-s.

All I’m asking for is a few uninterrupted hours at the same time that I have plenty of energy to create some order in my house.  NOT to shovel my driveway!

Okay.

So thanks for letting me vent out my bitterness.  I feel much better now.  And really, it’s okay.  But if you stop by my house, please excuse the mess.  I've been playing with my kids and making happy memories.  (Recording them??  Not so much!  Need to work on my New Year Resolutions too…  Sigh…)

11 comments:

Kathi said...

Hmmm, that blog makes me want to go relax. Wore me out just reading it. It also makes me pretty cold! Brrrrrrr.
Hopefully, time will heal all messes. Or the new ones will just cover the old ones.

Sharon said...

THANK YOU!! Really I am so grateful to know that I am not the only one that feels like I am going absolutely crazy and doing a million things all at once.
Thank you!

Natalie said...

UGGGH that snowblowing/shoveling sounds horrendous. Nothing kills me more than shoveling! And I don't know how you do it in that temperature. I feel exactly like what you said here: "[Third] of all, I’m bitter because I cannot catch up. I honestly have a billionty and one things to do." And actually I feel bitter about it today too. I wish I was there to take your kids for a few hours.

Summer said...

ok, a few things.

Good for you for playing with your kids so much - I need to stop "getting things done" and do that more.

and way to go with all the shoveling. I don't shovel. If we get snowed in - so be it.

Basically - you are one awesome woman and I love you to death!

I missed you at the gym tonight - sorry it didn't work out.
And I'm sorry about the disorder. It drives me crazy too (my disorder, not yours)

kateworthi said...

So Jo, I WON'T call you, b/c I don't want to bug ya - but why don't you bring your kids over tomorrow to play in the morning? Or afternoon - whatever - then you can have some uninterrupted time to get some stuff done. And PS - don't answer the phone!!! :)

And secondly, I know how you feel about not getting anything done. With all the cold, I've hardly been leaving my house thinking - if I can only get the papers in my room sorted out - AND I CAN'T even get that done. in a whole day! It's pathetic. I think it just comes with the territory of being mom!

But honestly, I've been thinking that I miss ya - and haven't seen you forever. So bring your kids over tomorrow. Call me or email me yes or no.

Pamela said...

I have been feeling the exact same way! I was trying to figure out a way to send the kids somewhere for a week just so I could focus on all my endless taks, catch up somewhat, and be a nice mom again! Let me know if you come up with any brilliant solutions.

Anna said...

So I've totally be hanging out in the bitter barn. For different reasons but still immensely bitter. And here's the thing, I felt guilty for being bitter while being so blessed. Which I'm guessing you feel a bit of too. I think we need to be okay with feeling bitter and still blessed otherwise the bitterness is just not going to be dealt with. Right?

Angie said...

AMEN to everything you said! Except for it's not that cold here. Sheesh! I don't think I've ever heard of it being -35 to -50! That is just plain INSANE!!

But I have been feeling the EXACT same way about my house!!! CONSTANT interruptions make it impossible to finish a task. I was just complaining about this to my parents and Steve on Sunday. I still haven't even taken down my stupid Christmas tree! Some days I wonder what the heck I got done. I need constant reminders that playing with my kids and wiping bums IS what I'm doing, but I can tell myself that all day long and meanwhile, the house falls apart. Tonight I spent like 1 hour just doing dishes and cleaning the countertops. The kitchen is still a total mess! We should swap kids with a friend one day for like 6 hours. Take a day to cross a couple of things off the list.

Heather said...

Ditto to all that you said.... except i don't hav't to shovel as much as you do or drink hot chocolate for every meal!!! :) i feel for ya i really do!
now with all that said, my baby is down for a nap. daughter is watching t.v. & i need to go clean my bathrooms before they walk away. oh & change my sheets.. it truly never ends! :)

Elise said...

Hang in there JO! Be all deserve to be bitter once in awhile!

E

Camilla Millar said...

Obviously, I never experiences the wind chill and snow like you guys, but I am 100% with you on feeling behind on everything.

My house IS disorder. I also feel like I can't stay on top of it!!