Did you hear that Dr. Laura has a new book coming out?
How great is this? (It’s a good thing my mom is always giving me good books for my birthday, right?) I can’t wait to read it!
So that brings me to my second part of my SAHM installment. Here we go!
One thing that I’ve thought a lot about--- the adjustment it will be when both of my kids are in school all day.
(I’m trying not to think about the adjustment that will come when they all leave me for college!)
I’ve had a few moms close to me go through this. I’ve noticed that for some it’s easier than for others. I’ve noticed that for some it can be incredibly difficult. It seems like it’s a time when most moms have a sort of identity crisis. Who am I? What am I? What do I want to do with my life? What do I want to be when I grow up? What now??
I recently heard (from a faithful listener) that Dr. Laura often gets calls about this issue. She encourages moms in their “mid-mommy crisis” to make a list of all the things they had wanted to do when they were chasing babies around and didn’t have time to do… and then go do them!
I decided I might as well make my list now so I can reflect on it when the time comes.
Wanna hear?
- Take piano lessons and practice every day
- Get a grip on my family history work
- Attend the temple more regularly/work in the temple
- Study my scriptures more in depth
- Serve other families more
- Volunteer at the school
- Regular exercise
I know I really won’t have this much time on my hands when the kids are in school. I guess I am thinking more long term. But! At least I can look to this list and be inspired to live the life I want to lead if I ever feel like I have too much time on my hands.
What’s on your list? I really want to hear! And any other thoughts, too.
11 comments:
Hmmm.... I want to go back to school of some kind. I've thought about nursing school, but not sure if that is the right fit. Perhaps my MBA. Or even if I just take a class a semester from the local community college, I can't wait!
I also want to take violin lessons again.
Volunteer somewhere.
Take up biking.
Oh man, will that time ever come? It seems so so far away.
first off i admire you so much. i really truly know how you feel cause my two older kids will be in second and first grade coming up in sept. so i will have my 18 month still but, going from 3 to 1 seems like such a relief but i ask myself the same thing what will i do with all this time. well for now i'm so excited to start back up at the gym. i finally will get "ME" time. i'm with you i really want to study the scriptures more in depth... cause half the time it goes right over my head. your goals sort.of sound like mine cause i want to volunteer more at the school too. it will be nice to be able to clean my house, truly deep clean my house more regular... can't wait for that one. :)
sorry this is so long but, i love reading your posts cause you always have great ideas and such a fun personality. :)
you are a fantastic mom... that is my thought.
love,
H
Amen to your list Jo! I have on my list a few random things besides your listed items,
-backup family pictures
-backup family videos
-work on storybooks for the kids
-take a dance class
-organize, organize, organize!!!
You are awesome Jo, I love ya!
You know, I don't think I commented on your last mommy-entry, but I wanted to say that I really thought the article was amazing. I think you are right on track with your thinking and reasons for staying at home.
My biggest one is to figure out how to document (scrapbook in someway) all our memories and keep a JOURNAL!!! Learn some fun cooking techniques and make some gormet meals. I also have the same piano goal and scripture goal.
I can now comment-Dad did a system restore. It was weired.
Anyway, that's a great list. Keep it handy-front of your journal or something. Then be sure these things are incorporated into your life in case you get into a place where you're having a hard time making yourself do what you know you should. It's easier if it's already kind of in your life.
Someday you might understand this.
Here's my list....
get pictures organized
Piano lessons FOR SURE
Exercise regularly
involvement in school activities
some pampering of myself!!!
I love this post!! I just saw today that this book was coming out!!! YAY!!!
I love that you posted your list because at my house we (all 4 of us) have been working on our bucket lists and I was planning on posting mine today or tomorrow...
-exercise
-read scriptures with more purpose/vigor
-take another spanish class
-clean the house ALONE and EFFICIANTLY (it will take me 1/4 of the time, I GUARANTEE it) so that when the kids do come home I can just focus on them
-start a blog
-maybe do my hair with some regularity
-learn to take a semi-decent picture
-Work on projects and actually get caught up (scrapbooking, quilting)
-I like the in-depth scripture study one
-Go the gym at some time other than 5:30 am!
-Read more good books (I rarely make time to read these days.)
-Take care of errands without kids (really looking forward to this one!)
-Hopefully I will be able to do these and not have Steve think this extra time is great for me helping him...haha!
i do NOT like dr. laura. never have. she's an uppity homophobe, and i don't particularly care for the way she spells her last name. she's like a sober lucille bluth. and, as we all know, lucille is at her kindest with a strong drink.
"get me a vodka rocks."
"mom...it's breakfast."
"...and a piece of toast."
Post a Comment