Sunday, June 7, 2009

I’m Stumped for a Good Title

Once again, I don’t have one cohesive thought.  Just a few random ones…

{Books}  I recently read two very good, short, young adult books.  Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli and Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech.  If you are looking for some light summer reading, check these out.

{Treats}  I found THEE best frosting recipe.  EVER.  Chocolate Buttercream from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook.  Really, guys.  Pure deliciousness.

  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, very soft (I used salted butter and it didn’t matter.  But I recommend having the butter at room temp.  Take it out of the fridge at least an hour before.)
  • 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp milk
  • 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled to lukewarm (5 to 10 minutes)  (I recommend the Ghiradelli)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
    • In a medium-size bowl, beat the butter until creamy, about 3 minutes.  Add the milk carefully and beat until smooth.  add the melted chocolate and beat well.  Add the vanilla extract and beat for 3 minutes.  Gradually add the sugar and beat until creamy and of desired consistency.
    • Wow.  Just wow.

{Summer Goal}  (I tell you this, not to brag, but to encourage.)  I recently felt inspired to have my kids learn and memorize the Articles of Faith over the summer.  I didn’t quite know what to expect when we started a couple of weeks ago.  I am shocked at how well they are picking up on them!  Both Sam and Sarah have #1 and 2 completely memorized.  And they’ve picked them up very quickly.  We just work on one a week and review it all week.  Then at FHE we pass off last week’s and learn the next one.  Now, admittedly, I’m one who tends to underestimate my kids’ abilities when it comes to things like this.  Therefore I have been amazed and thrilled with the results.  If you are like me at all in this regard, then try this!  You just may be amazed too!

{Summer Fun}  CraZy CRayOnS

What you’ll need:

  • A kitchen knife, old crayons, and mini-cake tins (heart shaped or circle or whatever you have)

How-to:

  • Parents can use the knife to chop crayons into pea-size pieces, taking care to keep colors separate so kids can combine them as they like.  (Blue-and-white blend for a sky, maybe.  A mix of reds and oranges for sunsets…)
  • Preheat oven to 150 degrees while children fill the tin with crayon pieces, arranging them in interesting designs.
  • Bake just until the waxes have melted, 15 to 20 minutes.
  • Remove the shapes after they have cooled.  If they stick, place tray in the freezer for one hour, and the crayons will pop out.

5 comments:

Jessica O said...

I am of course using all your ideas; thanks for encouraging.
Also, I tasted that icing and that is why I cannot even write it down. It will be detrimental; so so good.

Lacey said...

Love your ideas, will be making frosting soon and probably won't be working on articles of faith ... though I am impressed! By the way, Happy Birthday! Hope you have a fabulous day!

Kathi said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Heather said...

love the ideas... can't wait!
happy birthday girlie. i hope your day is fab~

Haley said...

happy birthday!!!!!!!!