We've been living a few different nightmares lately. One of which has to do with our lovely little home.
The whole story involves too many details to be included here, but I think the gist of the nightmare can be conveyed with this Reader's Digest version. (Have I told you how much I love Reader's Digest?)
A few months back, we decided to put our house in MN back on the market. We got an offer on it fairly quickly and we eagerly accepted it. It was a bargain price, but we just wanted to be done with this whole process and move on.
Here is a little breakdown of what followed from there:
-We flew our family to MN for a whirlwind house-hunting
trip. It was overwhelming, exhausting,
confusing, and expensive. (I’m not going
to mention the added strain of having to spend two whole days with our
realtor. The one we were ready to fire
right before we got an offer on our house.)
-We didn’t find a house that we liked. {Nothing}
(Well, we did find one house that we loved, but before we could get our
offer on the table, it went under contract.)
-We were introduced to a builder we liked and found a lot for a
steal of a deal in a great neighborhood, so we decided to build. We got right to work planning our “one day”
house.
-We planned the blueprints down to the last square
inch. We poured hours and hours into
researching our selections for the house, i.e. paint, windows, appliances,
faucets, toilets, cabinets, trim, front doors, garage doors, interior doors,
knobs, flooring, mirrors, showers, baths, balusters and the list goes on and on
and on. I bought a plane ticket back to
MN to spend a couple of days finalizing my selections. My parents were kind and generous enough to
buy their own plane tickets to meet me in MN and help me with all of the big
decisions I had to make. It was a
tremendous sacrifice on their part, but I could not have done it without
them. From there, I spent days and days
and hours and hours planning our house down to the doorbell. We had everything {READY} to go. Seriously.
All we were waiting for was the money from the closing of our current
home so we could finalize our loan for the construction.
-A day or two before the scheduled closing, we got word that
it had to be postponed by ten days because the buyer’s lender did not have the
money yet. Okay… Fine.
We weren’t too worried. It was
nice to have a few more days to finalize our plans, I guess.
-The new date for the closing rolled around and I spent it
watching my bank account to see if the money had been wired in yet. The minute it was in our account, I was going
to get the ball rolling with our construction loan. But... the money never came. I will spare you the details of the chaotic
evening during which my realtor called to inform me that the house did not
close, but I will tell you that it was at this point that we started to get
nervous.
-We spent the next week losing more hope every day. We began to come to terms with things and
weighing our options
.
-Seven days later our realtor called with the final news-
The buyers were out for sure. (I won’t
go into the fact that he was sobbing when he called because his wife’s
grandfather passed away the day before.) (I do need to say that we have felt heartbroken for the buyers through this process and recognize that this was not their fault. The responsibility lies solely on the mortgage company.)
-The next seven days were filled with torment, confusion,
agony. We discussed, weighed, pondered,
and prayed {constantly}. We needed to decide where to go from here and
we wanted to make the right choice
for our family. There were several
factors playing into this that made it especially confusing and difficult for
us. And we were under major pressure
from our realtor.
-We finally made a decision that we were confident was the
right one. This involved giving our realtor
the boot. If you’re wondering how this
went down, imagine breaking up with your 15-year-old boyfriend. It was worse than that.
-We are now taking a break from “house” stuff so we can deal
with the other nightmares on hand.

11 comments:
Oh my JO. I SO SO SO feel your pain. We are supposed to close on our house today, but we see if that happens. What is up with these mortgage companies... seriously!
We also spent the LAST YEAR designing a house. On seriously the last day before we closed, we found out that our dream lot was going to be too expensive to build on. Devastation! So frustrating. So much wasted money...
Luckily, the Lord always looks out for you and we found THE BEST HOUSE EVER! Better location, better character, and much much better price.
I just know that things will work out for you guys too. Just hang in there : ) And a house break is a great thing... especially after what you've just been through! I'm thinking of ya : ) e
JOOOOOOOOOOOOO. i don't know what to say. really i don't. just know i love you tons+tons. i am thinking of you & i know the lord hears you. you will be blessed i promise you that.
pleeeeeeeeeeease call me to tlk.
xoxox
H.
Oh. my. gosh........ thats freaking awful.......... terrible.... miserable.......
BEST Reader's Digest version ever.
Oh Jo. I don't even know what to say. I sure hope things come toghether well at some point after all this. I'm so sorry you had to go through it all. I had no idea your realtor was like that. WWWWHHHEEWWWW.
OH MY. I'm speechless!
I am so sorry!
I have a pit in my stomach. I'll be praying for you.
OH. MY. GOSH.!!! Seriously, what a PAIN!!!!!!!!! I think this housing market is just plan screwed up these days. I'm sooooo sorry!!!!!
Jo.....that is the worst story ever!!!! I am so so sorry. Do you get to hold the lot in MN? I hope you can get a better realtor and get your house under contract again soon. Keep us updated!
I'm sorry.
Grrrr! I hate selling a house. I try to tell myself that everything happens for a reason. Who knows, maybe there is some other place you need to be. Hang in there!
I'm not sure how I missed this post and just barely saw it. Anyway, I'm so sorry about all the house drama. I can't imagine all that stress in addition to your other nightmares. Loves to you.
Post a Comment