Sunday, September 18, 2011

Homeschooling

You heard me!  Homeschooling.

That's what I've been doing lately!

I say it in an exclamatory way because this is something that I never ever ever thought I would be doing.  Ever.

Here's a little backstory---
As soon as we moved to the Philadelphia area, the idea of homeschooling started popping into my thoughts at random.  For the first little while, I would immediately shoo the thought away, knowing this was something I could never handle.  But the thought kept coming back to me. I started spending a minute or two considering it as it would come to my mind.  But then I would lose my patience with my kids and quickly realize I wasn't cut out for that lifestyle.  No way, no how.

But it kept. coming. back. to me.  I even started spending a few days, even, weeks, at a time considering this option.  But then a bad day or two or three would come along- either with my energy levels or my patience level, and I would snap out of it.  I would stomp the idea right out of my head.  No. Way.
But eventually... the idea would creep it's way back into my head.  I finally started genuinely considering the option.  I even got to the point of fasting and going to the temple with this option.  Wouldn't you know it!  There was no doubt in my mind that homeschooling was what the Lord wanted me to do for my children this coming year.  So I decided to do it!  I even told my kids about it.

But then... a few weeks of butting heads with Sam went by and I decided I was crazy for even considering homeschooling him.  Nope.  Not gonna do it.  Completely put the idea out of my head.  There was NO. WAY. I was going to do it.

We were planning for them to start another year at their local public elementary.
 
But!  A few weeks before school was to start, there was that thought again! This time with full force.  After a few days of hemming and hawing, I couldn't deny it anymore.  This is what I was supposed to do for my children this upcoming year.
 
I then took the leap!  It was truly a "leap of faith."  Stepping out into the dark, holding only to the hope that the Lord would catch me and help me to make this work.  It was a scary leap.  Probably one of the scariest leaps I have ever taken.  But as soon as I took it (by going through the major enrollment process), I felt very excited about it.  (Which I took as a good sign!)

We are doing an online charter (public) school.  Doing it this way has it's benefits.  The curriculum is excellent and all laid out for me.  We have teachers to help whenever we need it.  They even teach a subject or two in an online classroom each day.  The school provides each child with a computer, printer, and all of their books and supplies.  They even pay for our internet access!


Since it was kindof a last minute decision, I have been extremely busy trying to get things set up, organized, planned, and figured out.  I have honestly been working around the clock with minimal sleep for two weeks trying to get things figured out.  I have had no time for emails, phone calls, showers, etc.  I am so behind in the rest of my life, that it's a bit overwhelming.  But!  I am getting very close to having a handle on this homeschooling/online schooling so hopefully I can start getting some more sleep.  And spend some more time with my hubby.

So far, I am shocked to be able to tell you that it is going really well.  Seriously.  It's a lot of fun.  The kids are enjoying it, too.  They get to spend more time playing with friends than they did before since they don't have "homework" so the socializing is not missed.  They pretty much run outside at 4pm and play until dark.  (I love it.)

We have had a happier home and I have somehow felt more patient and in control than I ever did before. I love knowing what my kids are learning and being such an integral part of the day.  I feel so much closer to them and this makes us all happier.  I am seeing benefits that I never would've guessed and I feel so blessed to have been led to this decision.

I hope it continues to be a success.  I will keep you posted.

16 comments:

Heather said...

WOW, i have missed you so much! when i first read this i thought.. "is she CrAzY" but, i kept reading, & i got the goose bumps. That is so awesome!! what a great thing!! your kids are so lucky to have you for their mom!!!
hope you can chat soon! :)))
xoxo.

p.s. look at you Ms. organizer! love the work stations!

Natali Thompson said...

I LOVE it! That is pretty much what happened to me. We just started our second year and it is the best thing ever! Good luck this year. I can't wait to read about how it all goes. :)

Anne said...

YOU ARE AMAZING! Jo, your kids are so lucky to have such an inspired, loving, organized mom. I'm so glad to hear it's going so well. We love you and miss you! xoxoxo

Kristi said...

Way to go Jo! I can so relate to your experience with homeschool. When Gwen was three I started having the same type of impressions and it blew my mind, I had NEVER even remotely considered homeschool. It was a great soul searching time, I read a lot of awesome books, and learned a lot about myself and really felt like it was going to be the right choice for Gwen....and then I found out I was pregnant with Ivy, and to stay sane I just had to put the idea of homeschooling on the back burner for a couple of years. Which is where I am now. I know it would be an amazing experience, I just need to get to a place in life where I can handle it :) I hope to get there soon. I would love to talk with you more about your experience. Those are some lucky kids to have you for a mom!

Natalie said...

I love LOVE the fact that they don't have 7 hours of school, and then have to come home and do homework!!! Kids need to play and downtime. Love this whole post and I'm so excited for you guys! I am so glad you all are enjoying it.

Natalie said...

And your homeschooling area is absolutely amazing! Beautiful organization.

[BrookeO] said...

Oh holy cow friend, where have I been? I love that you are doing this. Let me say it again - I LOVE that you are doing this. I'm not even shocked, no doubt you are rocking it and have everything figured out perfectly. I love how you have it all set up and thought out. I really admire this in you Jo. And I miss you more than ever. So happy to see a new post - we sure need to catch up. Love you!

Janee said...

You are so brave to be doing this. I could NEVER EVER do homeschool. Kuddos to you!

Kathi said...

You're going to have this down so well you'll probably decide to do it next year!
I'm glad you're excited, because it excites me.

Angie said...

Way to make the leap. Huge LEAP! You will do great. So many families homeschool in my neighborhood and it works great for them. Keep the Faith!

Lacey said...

Good for you, Jo! I've heard so many amazing things about homeschooling. Keep us posted - I'd love to hear how it's going!

Sara said...

JO!
You are an unbelievable organizer and an even better mamma!
That system looks so rewarding for your kids to watch the bins disappear, and then their done!

You make a perfect teacher and it sounds like it's going to be a great year for your whole family, all because of a really in-tune mom.

Angie said...

ditto all the comments! I think it's so great how you followed the prompting even though it was so totally not what you thought you wanted. It just goes to show that when we follow and obey, we are so blessed! Who would've guessed you'd love this so much?! the Lord knew and he knew you could handle it. :) You are such an amazing organizer! :) I can't wait to hear updates!

Elise said...

awesomeness. of course you can do it! i'm so glad that you are enjoying it and things are going well. more power to ya!!!!

p.s. did you hear tricia is expecting??? she's homeschooling too :)

Abi said...

Seriously I am so glad you listened. You are amazing and I am so happy for you! You rock Jo!

Lisa said...

Hi Joanna,
This is Lisa Hoelzer from Rochester - I don't know if your remember me. I've heard you are coming back and wanted to reconnect with you! I love your blog - it's so cute and so hilarious! I am so curious what's going on with your house here (if you have one), and also it's crazy - but I'm home schooling my 7th grader this year! I wonder if it's k12.com you're doing. Anyway, email me if you get a chance!
Lisa
lisahoelzer@yahoo.com