Friday, March 7, 2008

Huh? Did You Say Something?

As you know, I'm reading THESE IS MY WORDS, by Sarah Prine.

I can't put it down. Can't stop thinking about it. Can't get enough of it.

Only two times since I've been a mother have I forsaken all my responsibilities (including motherhood) in the middle of the day in order to read a book. (The first time was when I was reading LIFE OF PI.)

Yesterday, Dave was home for a couple of hours in the afternoon taking a nap (he's really sick and had been up all night, poor guy.). When he walked out of the bedroom to go back to work at 4:30pm, here's what he saw-
  • Four neighbor kids running wild in our house.
  • Toys all over the family room.
  • Sarah sitting on the counter, repeatedly saying, "Mommy, I want to make something wiff you." (She loves to help me in the kitchen.)
  • Sam sitting on the couch playing his LEAPSTER.
  • Dinner ingredients spread out on the counter top.
  • Me sitting on the kitchen floor, leaned up against a corner of cabinets, reading my book.

12 comments:

Karin Brooks said...

I just got it from the library. Can't wait to read it.

Tracey Fam said...

Love your new background. Did you do it?

Angie said...

Good for you! That's awesome! I like this new blog look. I think this one is my favorite of yours so far. Oh and I read the residency wives blog. I think it's great! Strangely enough, I could relate to some of it because my hubby works from like 9 am to 10 pm every day, so we rarely have time with him. A lot of times I feel like a single mom. And definitely no sympathy when I get sick! I think that's a total guy thing!

Kathi said...

You make me laugh! But I think I'm laughing at memories of myself. Why I had to give up reading for many years. But I don't recommend that.

Anonymous said...

Awww! Addie says WIFF too! I love it!

Haley said...

I have to say, I always feel to guilty even to read during the day when no one is home (i feel like i should be cleaning or somthing) wish i could get over that!!!!

love the new background!!! how did you do the ribbons down the side?

Elise said...

LOVE THE NEW BACKGROUND. It totally looks like you : ) Due to your recommendation, I think I will have to borrow or checkout this book for some 'pool time' reading. That is, if we ever get out of this perma frost...

Sara K. said...

That could be me this week minus the sick husband part. My guilty pleasure - Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse all in one week. Getting on that bandwagon kind of late, but I am the YW Pres and all my girls are reading it, so I should be in the know, right?

As for the brownies. Two boxes of the Betty Crocker family size mix made according to directions, but in one 9 x 13 pan. I just crushed up a sleeve of Thin Mints and sprinkled them on top and swirled them into the batter. Viola!

missliss5/Melissa said...

I don't even know what that book is about but, BOY am I curious enough to check it out now!

Abi said...

That is one of my most favorite books! It is so wonderful! Let me know when you are done and I will share my favorite part with you! Sarah is so wonderful!

carlyl said...

Yeah, you deserve it.

Rich said...

Hey Jo! Rich's wife Sharon. I just spotted your blog on Rachel's blog. I love this post. I am so like that; the whole world going on around me and I am lost in a book.
Great blog!