What is your 'best of the best' normal, nothing fancy, moment with your children you hope they will remember when they are grown?
Something you do daily or weekly that is small and simple, uncomplicated but that you treasure and that makes being a mother the 'best of the best.'
I've been thinking a lot about this challenge the past few days and to be honest, I'm stumped. Part of it may be because the past few days have been filled with way too much whining from my kiddos, and part of it may be because I just couldn't narrow it down. So in response to the challenge, I thought I would list some of the little things that help me love my life as a mom...
What I love...
- that everytime Sarah wants to tell me something, she grabs my face to turn it towards her.
- that occasionally, when Sam finishes a drink, he'll say, "That's some good sauce, buddy."
- when Sarah does something like jumps off the stairs and says, "That's whee-ish."
- that Sam insists on saying his personal prayers every night so he doesn't have bad dreams.
- that Sarah would be content for the rest of her life if all she had was someone scratching her tummy.
- watching them grow up... Like hearing either of them have a conversation with their friend. It is so special to witness their thought processes mature and develop.
- that Sam loves his friends. The other day we went to get an ice cream cone from McD's and he wanted to bring one home for Rachel.
- that Sarah's temper tantrums have drastically diminished to maybe one a week now. (WHEW!!!!)
- that Sam can play on his own now for a little bit... He's LOVING legos.
- that Sarah wants to do whatever Sam is doing. The other day they each got a present from their soccer coach. Sam got an Incredible's watch and Sarah got a fairy necklace. Sarah wanted nothing to do with the necklace. She was so upset she didn't get a watch.
- that Sam still wants to paint his toenails whenever Sarah does. But he also knows well enough to hide them with socks.
- that Sarah is her OWN person. We were recently at a dr.s appt and at the end she got to pick a sticker. She had her choice of Backyardigans, Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony, and Spiderman. No-brainer! Spiderman, hands down!
- that they both love their daddy beyond words. If they had a genie come out of a lamp and offer them one wish... it would be to spend a day with daddy. They miss him so much and cry for him often. (I really hope he doesn't read this post. It would break his heart.)
- that they made a chain today to countdown to Dave's vacation week. (or Vucation, as Sam calls it. Or Mucation, as Sarah calls it.)
- That Sam has learned to sound-spell at kindergarten. Here's how he sound-spelled "one hundred": whujrid
- that S&S' favorite game to play with me is this... I get the spraybottle and sit on the chair while they run back and forth down the hallway trying not to get sprayed by me. Second runner-up... I sit in the doorway of the bathroom with all the bath towels in the entire house while they run back and forth down the hallway. Every time they run past I nail them with a towel. They think it is HIlarious!
- conversations like this: Sam "She made a mistake." Me: "Yeah, everyone makes mistakes. Even kids." (You see, he's fully aware that grown-ups make mistakes b/c he's constantly catching my mistakes.) Sam "Except Jesus." Sarah "Yeah. He's our Maker."
- that Sarah calls Tootsie Rolls-- Rootsie Tolls
- that Sam says there's "NUCH" thing as the Easter Bunny
- I could honestly go on and on and on, but when it comes right down to it... My ALL-TIME warmest, fuzziest moments as a mother come when the two of them are playing together... When they are making each other laugh hysterically and having nothing but a good time together. Of course it always ends with one of them crying, but until then, I sit back and smile from head to toe.
Please no guilty feelings for those mom's out there who are struggling to enjoy... Been there!!!
16 comments:
I can't truly express how much I loved reading that. Precious, precious moments and memories. Here it is, 1 a.m., and I should TOTALLY be sleeping. But I'm trying to have some me time before bed. I went to check friends blogs before turning off the computer and this is such an awesome thing to end on and go to bed thinking about. I love my sweet kids. Moments like the ones you listed are priceless. You've got me going to bed grinning and thinking about what I'd write.
Wow Jo - That was so great to read. How fun. It was sweet and adorable. I laughed, and I was warmed, (especially on this crappy, chilly night). You're such a good mom! I'm so glad you LOVE it.
This did my heart good when I read this...
"that Sam still wants to paint his toenails whenever Sarah does. But he also knows well enough to hide them with socks."
That is so classic! I loved reading this!!! You know you have a brother to look up to when all my daughter talks about is "I'm going to get you darth maul.. oh darth vader is going to get you! All she talks about is star wars with him! Isn't she suppose to be playing with her pet shops or something??? :)
I loved this! It made me think and remember what I love about being Noah and Alex's mom. It also gave me some ideas for new games (ie towel throwing and spray bottle game) : )
I am so happy that you played along. I absolutlely loved your post, motherhood is one of those tricky things that you love and that you hate. I love your statement of "until it does I just sit back and smile head to toe." Those are the moments we have to remember, again thanks. Love ya!
Oh Jo - please write more of those!! I laughed, I got teary-eyed... I love that you love your kids' personalities and really honor them. You will treasure this post as your kids get older. I love love when they learn to sound-spell!! Like Chruck! I still have recipe cards Jake wrote (and spelled) himself and love them.
Jo-that was such a sweet post! You are such a good mom-I need to write more things down about my kids like that. It really does make you appreciate being a mom that much more! (and to remind yourself that it is all worth it on those tough days!)
You are such a good mom Jo. Honestly. I love how you find joy in the simpliest moments. I also find it so awesome how Sam spells hundred....that is priceless.
Hey, I feel the same way. When Jenny said someday she wants to meet you face to face I thought the same thing! We are long lost friends that is for sure!! :)
Seriously, Let me know someday where you end up maybe we can live in the same state atleast instead of across the country!!! ;)
That was a great list!! I want to make one too. You are a great mom.
Hey, I just saw your request to be a part of the studiumaeternus blog and feel so honored you want to be a part of it! If you want to be a participant, email me at sourcream15@hotmail.com and I will send the request on. Thanks again!
I've been feeling so overwhelmed lately at how great it is to be able to spend time with Grant. I wrote a list in my journal of all the little things that I love about being a mom. Thanks for sharing. I love Sam and Sarah stories.
I am just catching up on some comments and noticed the choc. cookie comment -- you can use light or dark sugar. I swear by the dark in this recipe but I have a couple of friends who can't tell the difference. Let me know if they turn out!
By the way, you are a great mom and I loved your list. I need to spend a little time thinking about why I love my kids ... especially today!
It makes me smile to read these! I have to agree with your last one...being one of my most favorite parts about being a mom. And yes, when mine play together it ALWAYS ends in someone crying too!
How great to document all of those wonderful memories for later on too! Glad you are enjoying motherhood. Isn't it grand????!!!!!
Thanks Jo! I should make a list about Sam. That was very inspiring.
Post a Comment