We have this book sitting on our bookshelf. My mom got it for us during a brief moment in time when we were concerned about Sam. This was back when he was three and still adjusting to our move to MN. He didn't enjoy playing with friends very much and never wanted to go to their houses to play. It concerned us a bit as first-time parents.I look back at this now and laugh. Like really laugh. Like out loud laughing.
Sam is the EXACT opposite of an introverted child. He has NOTHING in common with an introvert. He is the epitome of an EXTROVERT. He wakes up at 6am and says, "Can I have a friend over?" And as soon as dinner is done each night, after playing with friends all day, he still asks, "Can I have a friend over before bed?"
Saturdays are his favorite days because usually Rachel gets to play with us ALL day. And I mean literally ALL day.
Our best times have been when people are staying with us. He is never happier. Not just grandparents either. We've had a couple of families with young kids stay with us and Sam thinks that is pure heaven. To wake up first thing in the morning and have friends right there in their jammies too!?! Nothing could be better! He's had a friend stay with us for a weekend and not only did I get a break (because someone else was keeping Sam entertained), but Sam felt like he was the luckiest kid on earth. They played happily and nonstop for 50+ hours. Again, this weekend, we have another friend staying with us. (Hannah.) He could not be happier. I mean it.
Today he played with friends ALL day nonstop. Not one break or minute alone. All the neighborhood kids, all day long. The plans were to go LETTERBOXING today because Dave was off. We could not pull Sam away from his friends to come with us. We even invited a few of them along. No go. He even went as far to turn down a trip to COLD STONE after dinner in order to keep playing with friends. This is serious.
Dave is stumped by this. Dave was climbing trees in his backyard at Sam's age to escape from all the people. If he had to spend an entire day socializing, he would have to spend four more recovering. Alone...
I, on the other hand, am more like Sam. I've mentioned this before that I enjoy a lot of play time and friend time but I also have to have a balance of alone time to recharge. But I've most definitely relied on friends throughout my days for good times and entertainment.
Sarah's a little too young for me to figure out quite yet. She's a lot like me right now with a need for both. But she's only three. So we'll see. For now, I'm just bracing myself for the future years with Sam as the SOCIAL BUTTERFLY. Wish me luck!
Post Script... I often have a hard time posting pictures of my kids because most of our pictures include one of their friends! Here's some examples...
11 comments:
sounds like our boys have a lot in common!!!
cute pics!!!
I love reading your blog! and I mean to comment more often but just don't. Anyway, I would love to send Kylee over. She is constantly asking to play with a friend and I'm sure our neighbors are sick of us knocking all the time. She even spends countless hours with an 8 year old boy across the street who play great together. Glad you guys are doing great!
Just like his mom-like I've said, came out of the womb saying "Where's my friends?!!"
But I guess we all continue to evolve!
That is totally laughable that you guys thought he might be an introvert at one point - actually that he even acted like one for a while. Weird. Let's hope it doesn't send him into another downward spiral when you guys move FROM Roch. That will be so hard on Rachel and SAm! But I'm sure he'll find some more great friends though - he being a social butterfly and all... :) Cute post! What are you gonna do with the book? :) (I don't think I need it yet or anything!)
Oh my gosh - when I got to this page and saw that book, I laughed right out loud before i even read the post! Too freaking funny. From an introvert's perspective, I think that is a great trait to be able to be with people all day and want to! He is a well-adjusted kid and fun to be with too so others love to be with him. It's good you can handle/like having kids over constantly too. I got tired of that!
I so remember that time for Sam! What a change to now. I'm so glad he enjoys playing with friends! Especially since it gives you a break. Watch out! If he's already turning down family activities for friends, you're in for it when he's a teenager.
Can my kids come & play... they would fit right in!!! :)
Love the post.. You are such a cute mom, look at those crowns I don't have patience to sit down and do that! i would be ditchin' them right out back to the trampoline! ;)
We need to give that book to Anne!
Loved this post Jo! It's so fun to hear about your kids and their fun personalities (already!). Good for Sam - Friends are what made up my whole life (and then some!).
My Davis is the exact same way. It drives me nuts cause sometimes I just want a day to ourselves!
Do we know the Bells? Hmmmm, let's see: former Stake President. . . . current Stake Primary President. . . . . I am actually surprised (though not really surprised, because she seems so observant an genuine) that Liane even knew who I was!! She is so kind and sweet. I know I could learn a thing or two (or 20) from that family.
With all these connections we have, you will have to give us a call when you come to Salt Lake so our friendship status can move beyond "virtual".
That is funny! I think that is a really good quality to have.
Post a Comment