I cannot get enough. . . of playing the piano. It's flared up recently when I discovered that the kids are at an age now that they will leave me undisturbed while I play the piano alongside them playing in the bounce house.
It started out so harmless, so fun. A special treat. Then... I started craving it. The kids were in bed one quiet night and there it was, calling out to me. I could not resist. I turned up the kids' white noise full blast and made my way down the stairs. I sat down and began to play. At night. All alone. I played and
I played. All night long. And the kids slept right through it!! What a discovery!! Now I can't wait! Any night that I can, I am downstairs pounding away on the ivory keys. I sit for hours at a time. Often my legs are sore when I stand. Like I've been sitting in the car on a road trip or something. I can't get enough. I am losing sleep because of it. I know I should stop playing and get to doing important things in my life, like watching SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE and the like. But I just can't. It just feels so good. It's like a drug. It takes me completely away from the world and relaxes me entirely.
I played. All night long. And the kids slept right through it!! What a discovery!! Now I can't wait! Any night that I can, I am downstairs pounding away on the ivory keys. I sit for hours at a time. Often my legs are sore when I stand. Like I've been sitting in the car on a road trip or something. I can't get enough. I am losing sleep because of it. I know I should stop playing and get to doing important things in my life, like watching SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE and the like. But I just can't. It just feels so good. It's like a drug. It takes me completely away from the world and relaxes me entirely.Whew! That feels GOOD to get that off my chest. I'm not ready to get help yet or anything. I just had to get it out there. You know?
P.S. I feel much the same about rollerblading. This one hurts the most because it turns out the weather where I live is mostly rotten with an occasional glimpse of sun and blue skies. Any sight of the blue sky and I am out there, though! I'm in a bad way!
17 comments:
Just last night I was craving a good piano!
Two excellent addictions, I'd say!
Such a better addiction than my addiction to CSPAN.
What an awesome talent... alot cheaper than mine.. shopping!
Do you teach lessons?? I'm sure you play at church right?!?!? :)
I love it! What a GREAT addiction! I mean seriously, talk about a healthy way to spend your time. I wish I had a talent like that! Oh, and I liked your last post about your hectic day too! Sounds like it was a blast! And 6:30 with kids in bed? Heaven!
I have the same problem only now that my kids are becoming musical I can't do it without them wanting to help!!!
what are you playing???? i need some new ideas!!!!
Congrats, Jo. The first step is admitting you have a problem. And, from what I can see on the posts, it looks like you have included others in your efforts to gain a full recovery.
Thank heavens these steps never actually help, so you'll get to keep on playing the piano as a talented addict! Good work!
That's awesome. I want to learn to play someday - when the kiddos are older!
i too, am addicted to some keys... on my computer! ugh. i would love to have you come and play on the very heavy, 100 yr old living room decoration we move from place to place.
Can I have your addiction! I wish, I wish, I wish, I could play the piano! But instead I'm the one on the sofa watching SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE! and wishing I could dance as well. I guess I should get off my lazy butt.
Couple of thoughts/suggestions:
Maybe you could combine the two: See if they have a reality show SO YOU THINK YOU CAN PLAY THE PIANO
Rollarblade on a treadmill during the winter-how funny would that be?
I read once that playing the piano burns lots of calories, yeah baby.
I expect a concert when I come see you-Clair de Lune please.
What a great addiction to have, seriously... you are working on and enjoying one of your talents. Nothing wrong with that. I too have found it to be helpful in relieving stress, so relaxing. love it!
Way to go! I would love to learn how to play the piano.
I think the piano is a great escape, too. I just can't justify buying sheet music-- just one more reason we need to start earning the big bucks!
thanks for entering the giveaway!
that is so great. i just need to learn how to play first. maybe some lessons??? what a great addiction to have!
If we're coming clean, I am a blog-stalker-holic. I love your Ready to Read book club blog. I just finished These Is My Words. Ever read Lauraine Snelling's Red River of the North series? TIMW reminds me of it. Norwegian settlers in the Dakotas during pioneer times. The characters are like my extended family. Anyway, I have already read the Host, so I can catch up on some other books from your list. Thanks!
Post a Comment