Saturday, November 29, 2008

Jingle Bells

Can We Start Talking Christmas?  Please??  Because I love love love Christmas.  Bring it on, baby!  Put up the lights, turn on the music, and start making your list.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?  Gift bags, but I like a little bit of both.  You’ve got to pull out the wrapping paper!

2. Real tree or Artificial?  Okay.  Funny thing.  I’ve been a die-hard artificial-lover for years.  But this year is the first year, I’ve decided I want to try a real tree and see what I think.  Artificial hardly seem convenient to me these days.  You take them out and plug them in.  Come to find out the “Pre-Lit” really means “HA!  One string of lights burns out in the middle and you are screwed, baby!”  You spend HOURS unbending and straightening the branches and then every night that you sit on the couch in front of it to “relax” and watch tv, the branches drive you crazy because this one needs to be straightened and this one needs to be pulled this way, etc etc.  After a year or two of real trees, I’ll let you know my final verdict.

3. When do you put up the tree?  Thanksgiving Day

4. When do you take the tree down? Shortly after Christmas day.  I’m fine with taking it all down the day after. 

5. Do you like eggnog?  No

6. Favorite gift received as a child?  Hmmm…  Honestly, I don’t know.  I remember getting a bike one year and a typewriter another year.  Both of which, I was very excited about. 

7. Hardest person to buy for?  My dad, without a doubt.  Because, NO MATTER WHAT, if he didn’t discover it first, it’s no good.

8. Easiest person(s) to buy for?  Probably Dave because he needs lots of things and never buys anything for himself.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes. Thanks, mom.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail, for sure.  But not this year.  It’s more of an every other year thing for us.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?  hmph… Thanks to a certain grandmother, we have a lot of those!!  Like a baby blanket that smelled like smoke.  Or fortune cookies for Sam at age 18 months.  Oh, the list could go on.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? ELF --- I love Christmas Story, too.  But it’s not as happy and heartwarming as ELF.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?  October.  It’s more fun when it’s not a stressful, last-minute thing.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Only to my best friend growing up, but it’s because it was something that she gave me first.  But  the funny thing is, I had given it to her very first.  It’s our favorite joke…  (That and smelling like smoke in sac. meeting because we sluffed sunday school to go bowling.)  (I’ve since grown up a bit.  A little bit.)  (Every time, I think of this friend, I laugh.  We laughed more together than ANYONE else.  Like the time she rear-ended someone in her grandma’s huge ol’ car because we were cruising the local hangout and we were too busy scoping out the joint to be watching for bumpers in front of us.)  (Oh wait!  We’re talking about Christmas, huh?)

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?  Homemade caramels and Honey Baked Ham.

16. Lights on the tree?  Heck yes!  A tree is not a Christmas tree without lights.  In fact, Christmas lights are probably my favorite things in the whole world.  Nothing makes me feel cozier and warmer inside.

17. Favorite Christmas song?  Tough one.  Let me say my favorite album here… Peter Brienholt’s NOEL.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?  Stay home… Although I am looking forward to traveling to see family this year.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's?   I’m not sure, but I’m not going to waste your time trying…

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?  Star

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Open the ones from family Christmas Eve and the ones from Santa Christmas morning.  Christmas Eve is as much fun as Christmas day in my eyes.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?  Getting the tree to look like I want it to (=good).  I can never place the ornaments just so and there are always crazy branches popping up that bug me.  Somebody talented- PLEASE HELP!

23. Favorite ornament theme or color?  Silver and cranberry

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?  Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, corn, rolls, sparkling grape juice

25. What do you want for Christmas this year? An i-phone.  Sooo bad.  And about a million other things.

6 comments:

Mike said...

Peter Breinholt's NOEL is probably my favorite as well! I got it as a missionary, and I was in my last area... And, since I came home a short time after Christmas, (and it is winter for 9 months out of the year there) we listened to it ENDLESSLY. It's impossible for me to start that album without immediately being taken to Eau Claire, WI when I hear the first note on the violin on the intro song.

Man. Christmas. Love it.

Lacey said...

You will LOVE your real tree! I am an absolute believer in real trees! Gator thinks they are a waste of money but it is honestly one of my favorite things about Christmas. Oooh, the smell! It will turn you to the other side, I know it! (not the dark side, the real side) I love this list! It's making me excited!

carlyl said...

So sad you are leaving me this Christmas... Seriously.

I so want to hear more about the worst gifts.

Oh and keep your eyes closed when you see my tree, it has crazy branches everywhere.

Kathi said...

Just hope you aren't terribly allergic to real trees.

Why on earth would you sluff SS to go bowling? There's got to be more convenient and fun times for that! I probably wouldn't have believed you even if you had told me.

Anna said...

So remember how you and I would buy each other a lot of gifts but really it was buying ourselves a lot of gifts because we just bought the same thing and "gave it" to each other? It felt so justified to say, "Oh, JoAnna bought it for me. Isn't it nice?" rather than "Yes, it's Christmas and I bought it for myself because I really wanted it".

Melissa said...

Please don't re-gift the smoky baby blanket. HA.