Other possible titles for this one:
A Selfish Post
Which Comes First… The Chicken or the Egg?
K, this one is for me. I just need to write about this. I’m not claiming it will be interesting to you at all. In fact, I’m sure it won’t be. But I’m doing it anyway.
What’s the deal??
With my girl… ??
Here’s the breakdown.
This is a 4 year old girl that is tired all the time. She actually complains to me that she is tired “all the time.” She sometimes says to me, at 4:00pm, that she wants it to be bed time.
Now, you might be thinking to yourself that she probably needs more sleep at night. Well, maybe. But she regularly goes to sleep at 7pm-ish (RARELY later than 8pm) and sleeps until sometime between 7 and 8 in the morning. That’s a good nights sleep for a four year old girl. (And a nap is out of the question. If she ever happens to take one, she will not fall asleep before 11pm that night. Without fail.) This girl should be a well-rested chick!
She loves to play with friends and wants to do all the fun things that the other kids are doing. But she’s often too tired and begs to go home.
I teach soccer classes to kids her age that are very fun and people PAY for their kids to take these classes. Sarah has the opportunity to join in on these classes when I teach. Disaster. She wants to. Oh, how she wants to. But she just gets too tired and wants to sit by the wall or in the car. All the while, crying from frustration and disappointment.
Okay, so you get the idea.
BUT! She is a terrible eater. You may have a picky eater and think to yourself, “Oh, yes. I have one of those.” And maybe you do. But when I say “picky,” I mean she does not want to eat. ANYTHING!! Nothing at all. She will eat treats. Yes. But certainly not enough to ruin her appetite for an entire day. She likes a glass of Nesquik milk. But not enough to get her through the day (or even the morning). She has days (like maybe one or two a month) that she will eat. Like a few bites of macaroni and cheese. But mostly, every bite is an absolute battle. And I have no idea how to win. That old quote, “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink” comes to my mind several times a day.
[The above paragraph barely scratches the surface of Sarah’s eating issues. But moving on…]
So I often blame her lack of energy to her lack of nutrition. I recognize that it’s terrible, no-good, and something needs to be done. But I just have no idea what it would be.
And so we continue on, surviving, beating myself up. enjoying the good times (we do have some good runs).
But now I’m wondering…
Is the lack of eating due to a lack of appetite? And, if so, why would she have no appetite?
Here’s my argument for the lack of appetite… She does have foods that she likes. Like croissant rolls, some cereals, and Quaker breakfast cookies. But I can see her, on days like today, “suffer” through a few bites, and just give up altogether. And if she has to go straight to bed for not eating dinner, she is fine with that! Even if it is 5:30pm.
So if it truly is a lack of appetite. Plus a lack of energy. Fatigue. What would it add up to??
If you’ve made it this far, any ideas?
9 comments:
Jo, I am just wondering how young kids can be to get mono? The tiredness, the lack of appetite, how easily Sarah gets sick? I guess Dave should know, but it's a thought.
Oh Jo - how terribly hard. That is really a weird thing. It definitely seems like something's up. Poor girl! What is it?! Have you had a dr. run a battery of tests? (I'm sure that would be fun.) Plus -she's low in iron right? So it might wipe her out more. AGH! I am praying you find out the deal. And in the mean time, do not blame yourself!
It's hard being a Mom when you are worried about your kids. You wonder if there is really a valid concern, or if you are just being a "mom" and worrying.
I think when it gets to the point that you are really WORRIED about it, it is time to run the info by the pediatrician. Just a simple peeing on a stick and bloodwork can ease your worries and peace of mind is worth a lot. Then again, perhaps the bloodwork will show something that needs attention. It's worth it for peace of mind. Even if Dave doesn't think it's necessary. I"m not saying he'll say that, but I swear that's Dan's reaction everything. Quote: She'll be fine."
Not the same symptoms (like lack of eating), but I rationalized my extreme lathargy and tiredness and excessive peeing to being out of shape and drinking a lot of water during the day. Turns out I was diabetic.
I don't feel qualified to give any advice but I read the other comments and I kind of agree that maybe you should take her in and at least discuss it with her pediatrician. I always think about the idea that mothers know when something is up with their kids. And I like what your friend said that even if it's nothing, it's peace of mind. Also, it would set up a history so that perhaps if it keeps going she'll have a medical history about it.
I have a friend who is also frustrated about her son's eating habits. I think it's a huge frustration for parents when their child has trouble eating. I've been lucky with Grant. He eats pretty much anything. Is there a way you can sit down with her and give her options and let her plan some meals? I don't know if giving her a little control over meals would help.
You are the best mom in the world and I mean that.
hum. hard!!! i agree that you should have it checked out. people always say kids will eat when they get hungry and you really don't need to worry about it but if she is never hungry............
I feel a little bit like the tiredness is not because of the eating issue. what do it know but i think most kids pretty much always have a lot of energy even if they aren't eating a ton. it just seems like she is too young to be soooo tired all the time!!!!!
about the mono---- my neighbors daughter just had it and she is 10, and i remember my sister having it as a kid but not 4 so i would bet a kid of any age could get it. Has she ALWAYS had the tiredness problem????
you're awesome!!!
Man, that is tough! I had no idea she was always so tired. That would be so frustrating as a mom because I'm sure you are at your wit's end about it. Definitely tell her pediatrician and have some tests done. That's what I would do. Google the symptoms online?
My only bit of advice is to keep offering food on her plate even if you know she won't eat it. . . . And don't overfill the plate. I put like a spoonful of corn and like 5-7 bites of meat and a roll or something like that. Then at least it LOOKS like your kids ate something and you feel better.
Anemia makes you tired. Does she eat enough protein?
Post a Comment