{Family Home Evening}
Let me just be honest here… I rocked it this week. Want in? I’ll share.
We talked about this guy…
Last week. we read about him in this book >
Through the week, we studied him in our family scripture study (in this book…. that I recommend).
Then tonight we watched a clip from an old collection of Book of Mormon seminary videos that are all just awesome. You just may remember them, depending on your age. This one was the one with the grandfather and his son discussing true heroes. I showed a part of that discussion and then a clip of Captain Moroni renting his coat and writing on it… then showing the people his Title of Liberty. It’s a moving rendition and the kids were enthralled.
Then we “rent” an old sheet. We took turns ripping it into pieces and then we each created our own “Title of Liberty”.
{Visiting Teaching}
Here’s the thing. I definitely have a testimony of visiting teaching. I have no problem doing mine. I know it’s important and would never let a month go by without at least contacting my sisters. However… I wish I didn’t have visiting teachers. Period. Always awkward. Always inconvenient. Never helpful. Ever. I have had a few that I enjoyed visiting with, but for the most part, Ugh. My favorite are the kinds that contact me with a phone call or a treat for two out of three months. A visit quarterly is perfectly fine with me. Does anyone else feel my pain or is it just me?? (BTW, former visiting teachers of mine that read my blog… you are the ones I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with. Sincerely.)
{Projects}
I had a slow week last week. Ahhhh…. It was so nice. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Only problem. It led to me getting the project bug and taking on a few new ones. (Okay, okay. It’s not a problem as long as the weeks continue to stay slow so I can finish them.)
Here’s the fun stuff I started…
---Still working on the Christmas stockings
---Started creating a digital scrapbook for our family photos for 2008. (Love Picaboo!) Can you say “addicting”?
---Decluttering. Feels so good!!
---Yard work (pulling out bushes, planting flowers, etc.)
---Painting garage door, front door, and trim. A big bite, I know. But I feel like I had no choice. Last fall we had to get a new roof because of hail damage. I chose the color and ended up choosing poorly. It looks terrible with our white garage, tan siding, and maroon door and shutters. The roof has too much black in it. So my only reasonable choice is to paint the doors (garage and front) and shutters black. And I think it will look awesome in the end. Just a lot of work in the process. BUT! I already hung the black shutters and painted a coat of black on the front door. I think it looks great so far! I’ll show you pictures when I’m all done. (I wish I had thought to take “before” pics.)
Sorry for the super long post!!
13 comments:
I totally hear you on the VT thing. In fact many times I have asked mine to just not come, because that would be nicer for me! Totally rude I know, I love the people, but the official visit stresses me out more than helps, but I've promised to contact them if I need anything : )
You totally rocked the FHE!
Oh Jo - that Moroni stuff rocks!!! I love how it progressed so that they just kept learning about him. LOVE the flags. Please share more ideas like this.
It is funny - someone said this weekend that they wish they'd just do away with VT and HT. I know that I have agreed with you 100% in the past. It can be a real pain when they come. The ones I have had here in this ward - I have just loved - they really cared - they brought a wonderful spirit and truly made a difference in my life. I needed it though - I am in a different boat than some. I now have a very strong testimony of VT. The just got changed though and I was really sad. I have never felt sad about VT being changed before. Sorry for the book here!!
Okay. So I must interject here. I must be sure it is known that i really do have a strong testimony of visiting teaching. I'm not of the boat that thinks the church should just do away with the programs. They never would because the HT/VT programs are the crux of the church. Truly. I would also never make a blanket statement that all visiting teachers should only visit in the home once a quarter since I know (all too well) there are definitely sisters that need and appreciate a visit at least once a month. There are even sisters that need a visit more than once a month.
I'm aware of all of this and truly have a testimony of it all. I am so grateful for the v.t. program and know that it is inspired.
I should not have even complained in the first place! I need to work on my attitude of my own visiting teachers. (And, to be honest, I guess I'm just struggling with the ones that I have right now. Awkward...)
I'm so glad it's warm enough to paint the outside of your house!!!
love your honesty. you truly crack me up. i seriously do hear ya on VT. thanks so much for FHE ideas i take what i can get cause i'm so out of ideas. i bet your house will look great! can't wait to see it. black is ALWAYS a good choice. :)
I don't know if I am glad I don't VT you, or wish I did so I could only come twice a year.
But...if you were one that I taught...ahhhh I would come weekly cause I really like ya.
Jo. You are da'bomb. Love everything about this post.
Ok...so first of all I have to say that you are super mom for even having a planned FHE. Usually we get the alarm on the phone....we look at each other and whatever we are doing at the moment, we say. "this is FHE". We chuckle to ourselves. But, why plan when Emmi won't sit still for anything. In fact she starts to cry when we have had an opening song. lol
And when it comes to VT...I think it is not for me too. I have actually asked to not have people come visit in the past cause I seem to always get the blue hairs that come and chat for HOURS!!! Yeah....I suck...my testimony is lacking there.
You are a rockstar!!! love ya
Way to go with all the BOM teaching! You ARE rockin' it! And I am 100% totally and completely in agreement with you about visiting teaching. I feel the same! Lucky for me, mine only come like once every few months :)
Now if only our home teachers could be less diligent ;)
Can I come to your house for FHE from now on? Serious.
Oh Jo - I just saw this! I did NOT think you wanted to get rid of VT. I totally understand where you are coming from. And I have had some bad ones in the past. I'm not too sure about my new ones. But I do agree that they should be sensitive to the fact that people are busy and go with what actually helps them (very short phone visit or a treat is perfect.) I actually thought your post was an opening for a great discussion! The thing that drives me by FAR the most crazy is the older ladies who think they know exactly what I need to do to get better or just with my life in general - ie: I should really go back to school and work on my degree, I need to get out and exercise, come to church, think positive etc. Oh really? Bite me. (Now people are really wondering)
How did Sam feel about you doing all that cleaning and organizing without him? SO cute.
Can't wait to see your house's new look.
Your FHE is inspiring. Why is it so difficult?
I feel the same way about VT.
Post a Comment