But I've been trying to break it down, thinking about what helps me to keep those stacks of paper at bay and here's what I came up with...
Tip #1 (and most important)--- Do it NOW!
What I mean by this is that it is crucial to attend to those papers as they come in. Bring in the mail, open the kids' school folders, come home from an appt and deal with those papers immediately. Ideally, that day. If it requires a payment, make out the check, and get it in the mail now. If it requires a response, respond now. If it requires a phone call, make that phone call now!
I realize that this is sometimes not possible, but if you do it as much as possible, it will be so worth it. This is the key to avoiding those piles in the first place. If you can't do it immediately, get it done as soon as possible. Leave it out on the counter where you cannot avoid it so you get to it quickly.
Tip #2---A File Box!
Get a bunch of these:
and one of these:
Now take your stack of papers and be sure that you have dealt with the ones that need to be dealt with. Take the remaining papers and analyze them one by one. Determine whether or not you need to hold on to that piece of paper. Is it something you can get online? Is it really necessary? Will you need to refer to it in the near future? Once you have boiled it down to the essentials, organize your papers into several different piles (even if the pile only has one paper!). For example, "Sam's School Handouts" "Washing Machine rebate info" "Lab work to get done" "Moving Info" etc. etc. Make as many separate piles as it requires. (One of your piles should probably be for those papers that should go into your more permanent filing situation and not in this easily accessible file box.)
Now make a file folder for each pile and stick it in the file box.
I suggest including file folders with these titles:
- To Be Filed
- Reference
- Receipts
- Coupons
This is not the file box that goes in the office, never to be touched again. It is a file box that will sit right there in your main "functioning" area, i.e., kitchen desk or what have you. It is going to need to be updated on a regular basis. You will be adding to it and taking away from it often. Keep a stack of empty file folders close by and make a new one whenever something else comes along (even if it is just one paper!). Take five minutes once a month and flip through each folder and toss out what you don't need anymore.
And, don't worry. You don't need to be perfect. Just remember "A place for everything and everything in it's place." As long as you have that "place for everything," it's really easy to catch up if you ever fall behind. Which you will. Because you are human.
I have two more small tips that may help keep your stacks of paper in control that I will post tomorrow so stay tuned...


5 comments:
thanks for the tip! a lot of my papers go straight to the shredder or recycle bin outside!!! it is soooo true "DO IT NOW" :)
It is great to hear what you do Jo. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this!! So, in your file box, do you have files labeled for the things like school papers, and lab work, etc.? Do you just name that "action" for things to take action on?
A lot of my issue is energy to take care of anything, but I love hearing what you do.
Yup, just like you said, Natalie. I write on the folder exactly what it is. Some of my current folders are "Sam's school Stuff" "Sarah's School Stuff" "Lab work" etc. However, none of them are "actions." Anything that needs to be acted on is out on the counter and attended to right away. Otherwise, I will never get to it. I only use the folders for things that I will need to refer to in the next few months.
Ummmm...I think I will just keep letting Paul pay the bills : ) Although I do hate the pile on the desk. But you can't complain about the pile if you don't want to do it yourself!
I do have a separate file folder/organizer for the kids school stuff. And yes, I'm all about the 'do it now'
Have I told you lately that I think you are super amazing? You are : )
Love the tips my VERY organized friend : D Miss you mucho!
Post a Comment