Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Morris Family Update

For those just tuning in, we are here in Rochester, MN for year number 3 of Dave's general surgery resident at the Mayo Clinic.


Dave...
He is now on his Transplant rotation. It is 1,000 times better than the last three months of pediatric surgery!! He is not treated like pooh, but more like a human being, which is very refreshing for him. He may have moments of boredom, but for the most part, this is a pretty nice rotation. The schedule is even fairly decent most days, which is a bonus! (So you are not misled, when I say "decent," I mean the kids get to see him a few times a week and Dave and I get to have a conversation or two throughout the week.) Overall, Dave is fair to good. The general feeling of exhaustion, tiredness, drowsiness, and lack of energy is something he hardly notices anymore. As for extracurricular activities, when he is not working, he is sleeping, studying, or playing with the kids.


Jo...
I've been focusing a lot on making my house a home these days. Searching for inexpensive accessories, as well as doing lots of painting. I am neck-deep in paint these days. I have taken on the massive project of painting my entire house! Something I never thought I would take on because of the crazy high ceilings and such. But my friend encouraged me and so here I am. It has been a very satisfying/stressful project. I was just about done, but now I'm realizing that I don't love the color of most of the walls. It's much yellower than I thought it would be. It's looking like I will re-painting those! So I will be painting forever, it seems. It turns out it's good exercise, though. My arms are always sore from it. Which is nice...
I am also enjoying lots of great times with good friends here in Rochester. Friends are such a great blessing. They make all the difference in my sanity level. And these days, I'm mostly sane. Wow!
I'm also teaching soccer classes for preschoolers and having a blast with that. It's great exercise and a lot of fun. Sam and Sarah get to join me for some of the classes and they LOVE that.

Sam...
Speaking of friends, Sam is so blessed in this regard. He has two best friends, both girls! Melana Orrock and Rachel Eberhard. Both of them live rather close and so they spend lots of time together. These girls are wonderful. Dave and I are very grateful for the sweethearts that they are and both of us would take a bullet for these girls.
Sam is also LOVING kindergarten. He often tells Sarah that she should be very excited that when she gets bigger she'll get to go to kindergarten too. He tells her that it is so much fun. It's amazing to me how fast he is learning. He has made so much progress on learning to read! Very exciting. He loves his teacher and his classmates. He constantly refers to a girl named Tessa... Dave and I are wondering if he has developed his first crush. ;0 Which reminds me, a sweet little girl that went to preschool with Sam and is in our ward, (Hannah Melander) came up to me today to whisper something in my ear. I leaned forward and she told me that she was knows who she is going to marry. I said, "Really? Who?" She said, "Sam." I asked her how she knew and she said that her mom told her!! :) His future plans with Rachel are pretty much set in stone but I didn't have the heart to tell Hannah that.

Sarah...
A few more weeks and she will be three! She acts like a three year old too. She is really growing up. I have to say that she is very enjoyable to be with these days. That was not the case for a long time there, but I am sincerely enjoying her right now!! Sigh, what a relief! She's really gotten control of her emotions and you can see that she is very sweet and wants to be really good. She is a very smart cookie and know what's going on.
She has stopped napping, which turns out to be nice. We love having that time together in the afternoon while Sam is in school. It's been really special. Not to mention that without naps, she goes to bed at 6:00pm, which is wonderful!!
Sarah is also having a great time with her friends. She has a neighbor named Hailey that she just loves. They are the exact same age and they play together beautifully, often playing animal rescue. Oh yeah, Sarah is obsessed with Diego and Dora these days. She prefers Diego, but Dora will do most of the time. It's so cute! I'm loving this age!

So that's our family for now. Much love to all!

15 comments:

Haley said...

I am missing all the alone time I had with Alex before she started school full-time. Isn't it fun to have a little buddy that you do everything with. Cherish it because it goes by way to fast, Alex is in second grade now.

Elise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elise said...

Thanks for the snippet. Love to hear about the Hometeacher and the kiddo's too : ) We need to get together this week!

Unknown said...

we miss you too. reading that made me so happy. i can't wait till we get to see you again!

Karin Brooks said...

Life is busy! Sometimes it is easy to wish these years away. Little ones are A LOT of work. It is so fun to hear how you are doing.

Eric said...

Thats what I'm talking about. good to hear. Hey, what about your restless leg syndrome?

Doug W. said...

Thanks for the info - it was so cute and informative! And before you change that paint color, I HAVE to see your hard work (before it starts all over again)! ARGH! I hate repainting! Is it Dave telling you that he doesn't like yellow?... :) Evil influences... :) I'm going to invite myself over sometime! See ya soon - Katie

Natalie said...

Oh Jo - this had me rolling with laughter! It is a joy to come to your blog. LOL at Sam's future plans being set in stone already and already being chased by all the girls. (I know you didn't say it - I did!:)) I hate that you live so far away. I want to be there for all these funny moments or at least some of them. Alas, at least we can read them here. Sarah is growing up so fast. She IS such a smart cookie. I'm so glad Dave's rotation is better and that you're enjoying your BUSY life!

WIKKY said...

Love your family info. that is such a great idea. say hi to dave for me! hopefully, he will be awake enough to hear what you say to him! good luck painting. we have also officially painted our entire house after 5 years of being here.

Abi said...

Much love from ours to yours as well. I loved the update!

carlyl said...

I am so glad that Dave's schedule is a little better. Now you all can take a breath eh??? I need to come and see your paint. Lets get together!!! Well when your not painting, coaching soccer, or all the other things you have going....

Angie said...

That was a GREAT post! It sounds like everyone is doing well. Enjoy it!!

[BrookeO] said...

Well they've said it all, nothing else really to say other than YOU ROCK! (& I mean it).
Loves.

Melissa/McRae said...

I'm so glad you did the update and that Dave can be home a tad more than before. We're having a similar year this year and it makes a difference being able to see a dad more than 5 hours a week! Amazing how that helps everyone in the house!! Post some pictures of this painting project when you get a chance!

Nancy K said...

I want to see the new painted walls on the blog-you are great at decorating so I want to ooh and ahh!
Nancy