I really wish I liked oatmeal.
But I don't...
It's just one of those foods that I've tried time and time again to like, but every time I try it I cannot even get it down without wanting to vomit.
Take this morning, for example. I just got home from a month-long trip. We have no food in our house, but I need to eat some breakfast. I try a bowl of oatmeal, thinking to myself, "I know I can like it this time. I've grown some since I last tried it. I'm more mature and ready for new textures. This is going to be the time that it all clicks with me and oatmeal." So I pull out some banana bread instant oatmeal, add less water than it says because that's been my mistake in the past, and sit down to enjoy my bowl of breakfast. ... ... ... ...
Yuck! Nasty! The texture is just something I cannot get past! I try bite after bite until I find myself in tears, feeling like a prisonor of war who's only chance at survival is this nasty bowl of shredded up newspaper and water. I give up. I'd rather starve.
Sigh...
What's the food that you wish you liked??
14 comments:
There is a lot of food I wish I liked; tomatoes and onions being some big ones. Whats funny is I have been so glad I got myself to like oatmeal a few years ago. I eat it all the time. It is gross with water though, you gotta use milk and the cook time has to be perfect so its not to dry.
Olives, no matter how hard I try I just do not like them!
Cucumbers. The smell and sight of them makes me gag. I wonder why.
Oh Jo. I would have brought you a bowl of Marshmallow Maties... you know I would have.
I laugh at this only b/c I LOVE LOVE LOVE oatmeal. Brown sugar flavor and with milk...maybe I need to make you a bowl before you completely rule it out?!!
PS SO glad you are home, can't wait to see you tonight!!
Joanna, I am so with ya on the oatmeal thing!!! I think I try it once every year thinking I have matured and it even smells good when Gouch makes it, but I've never made it through more than three bites before totally gagging.
fish... i feel the same way about fish like you do oatmeal. It's funny because i live in a state that is FISH everything & our neighbors or friends invite us over for dinner & about 90% of the time that is what they cook. My husband hates it to... we give each other the look & for each other to swollow it. You should see us choke it down. I'm sure i look like i'm going to vomit as well!!! :)
Yeah so the oatmeal thing was a problem for me too. I still can only have one type - apples and cinnamon.
I don't really wish that I liked mushrooms but sometimes I think it would help out when I go out to eat. I finally relented to accepting cilantro in my life but mushrooms are the brick wall I can't climb over.
Um, have I ever told you Brandon loves your comments? He does. He loves whenever you comment. He thinks they are the best.
I love oatmeal but you do have to make it with milk instead of water. Then it is creamier and tastes better. I wish I liked vinegar. Everyone is always having salads with vinegarettes but I can't because I hate the taste and smell of vinegar. Oh...but I love pickles. Go figure.
so many!!! salmon, avacados, OATMEAL me too, bananas, tomatoes..
i pretty much don't like most things that are healthy!!!
Love the oatmeal. But hate hate hate fish. it tastes, oh I don't know, fishy? yuck. AND I don't like tomatoes. I've tried. I love salsa, though. hmmmmm...
Raw onions - CANNOT get over it. I gag. Cooked is ok, but raw...NEVER.
Your post totally made me laugh though - I could visualize it so clearly... : )
Hahaha this cracked me up. I love oatmeal - could eat it every day. I like it with ground flax seed and real maple syrup. I like the rolled oats (not quick) so they're nice and chewy! It is the texture thing I love. So funny. Who cares if you don't like it though eh? There are a ton of other ways to get fiber. In fact, sometimes I worry about the carbs. I wish I liked fish! It is such a healthy protein and I hate it!
I wish I liked tomatoes. Can't do it!
Wow, my problem isn't really wanting to like more foods. Actually, I like food too much. My dreams are about foods I wish I DIDN'T like. When I grow up and become more mature will I stop craving peach rings and swedish fish. Will I have enough self control to eat only half a carton of ice cream in one sitting? Will I stop hiding in the closet so I can eat that piece of chocolate without anyone seeing? These are the real questions to ponder. I love you Jo! Don't worry about the oatmeal.
Post a Comment