Monday, October 27, 2008

Home Sweet Home

We did it.  Dave and I took a true vacation.  We relaxed.  We read.  We slept.  We ate. 

And that’s pretty much all we did. 

Truly. 

Well, I guess we did a little more than that.  In no particular order, here are some details…

  • Really, a lot of reading.
  • We slept whenever we wanted to.  Really.
  • We ate whenever we wanted to.
    • But the food was no good on our cruise!!
  • The kids did really well at home with grandma and grandpa.
  • Grandma and grandpa survived the week!  And have officially earned their sainthood.
  • Day one-
    • flight to Miami…  So nice to just sit and read and listen to music for 4 hours.  No kids.  No worries.
    • Boarded the ship and took it all in.october 2008 012
    • Including a safety drillOct 2008 cruise
    • Sailing out of the port of Miami was gorgeous.

Oct 2008 cruise 02

Oct 2008 cruise 03  

Oct 2008 cruise 04

  • Day Two included some shopping on Freeport Island at Port Lucaya as well as a walk on the beautiful beach.october 2008 011

    october 2008 010
  • Day Three was a highlight for sure.  We stopped at Nassau and enjoyed an awesome shore excursion.  We got on a little boat and rode out to a neat little reef where we got to snorkel.  But not just any snorkeling.  We got to use sea scooters!  Super fun!october 2008 017
  • Day Four our day on the cruise line's private island was not to happen.  The water was too choppy for the little boats to tender us back and forth.  So we spent the day on the ship.  By the end of this day we were feeling a bit claustrophobic.  And definitely tired of the bad food.   But still enjoying the relaxation.
  • Day Five was our favorite for sure.  We got off the ship in the morning and were able to spend the day in Miami with our friends, Rich and Sharon and their incredibly cute kids.  They live there and were kind enough to take the day off to show us around and bless us with their good company.  It was truly delightful.
    • We went to the Everglades.  Here’s one of the baby alligators we got to see.Oct 2008 cruise 05

    • I wish I would’ve taken a pic with the Finlinson’s but I didn’t.  Just to give you an idea of the caliber we are talking about, here’s a story..
      • Kiara, their 6 year old daughter, was sitting across from me at dinner.  While waiting for our food she asked me, “So who are you going to vote for, Obama or McCain?”
      • Dave kept teasing the kids and giving them silly answers to their smart questions.  After one of these particular answers, Kiara looks at him without any sort of smile and says, “Aren’t you funny.”

All in all, a GREAT trip.  I loved being able to just be with Dave and have no other worries in the world.  It was truly rejuvenating and I came home ready to face the world again.  A huge THANKS to all who made this trip possible!!!  Truly.  THANK YOU!!

12 comments:

[BrookeO] said...

You deserved it.
But selfishly, glad you are back home. :)

Angie said...

Sounds like so much fun! I'm sooooo glad you and Dave could do the cruise. You two deserved it more than anyone! What a blast! Thanks for all the clothes my mom came home with :)

Lisa, Adam and Macey said...

Glad that you and Dave were able to have a nice little getaway! And seriously, I want to meet Kiara. She sounds like a hoot!

Natalie said...

What an experience! I'm glad you could get away together and that it was rejuvenating for you. Those are some gorgeous pictures. You guys are such a great couple.

missliss5/Melissa said...

The food wasn't good? LAME! That's supposed to be one of the highlights! It sounds like it didn't stop you from truly enjoying your trip, though, and I'm super happy for you that you got to get away. I am not sure what Dan and I would do with each other if we had a few days together without work, kids, pagers, etc. Yay for you!

Sharon said...

We had so much fun with you too!! We hope at some point we can take the hospital- road to home- and home tour!!

Lacey said...

I am SO jealous! Glad you had a fun trip!

Anna said...

I felt relaxed just reading about your trip.

Haley said...

i love cruises!!!! i'm so glad you had a great time even if the food was bad!!!

spackers said...

It sounds so fun. What a dream.

Abi said...

I'm so jealous!

Rich said...

We had a lot of fun. Everytime friends and family come into town it is like we get to have our own little mini-vacation right along with them. So thanks for letting us "Tag Along". Sorry the Everglades weren't more Gator-ific.