Thursday, December 31, 2009

Ringing in the New Year

2010--- HERE WE COME!!! This next year is going to be {epic}.  Here's what we are looking forward to (with hopeful hearts)...
  • Dave is going to South Africa.
  • We are having a baby.
  • We are selling our house and moving once or twice.
  • Dave is finishing his residency.
  • We are moving to Philadelphia.
  • Dave is starting a trauma/critical care fellowship at U Penn.
  • And biggest of all--- My dad is beginning 18 months of chemotherapy.  He was just recently diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, which is a cancer of the plasma cells. 
    • He will begin the year with a stem cell rescue/transplant which includes a very very high dose of chemo in a very very short amount of time.  He will then be given a short reprieve before going through the entire stem cell rescue process yet again!
      • The above mentioned process will be about 5 months.
    • He will then continue receiving chemotherapy on a less-intensive level for one year.
    • The prognosis is promising.
      • He is young, healthy, and the cancer was caught very early.
    • I admire my dad to no end.  Not only for who he is and all he stands for but also for choosing this "scorched earth" road that lays ahead.  I know he's doing it for his grandchildren who love him like nothing else.  To them, he is larger than life. 
      • No, wait... to just about everybody he is larger than life!!
    • You will most certainly be hearing more about this road and my amazing dad as the year begins...  Stay tuned.
      • For now--- some pics of one of the greatest of men:
      • With his newest granddaughter/reason for living, Elise.
        For Christmas, he got gear for the year ahead.
        Trying on his chemo garb.
        This picture just makes me laugh.  Hard.
        Good luck trying to get my dad to be serious!
And just for the record... Christmas was AMAZING this year!  We had a perfect vacation with my family.  Thank you, Grams and Pa, for spoiling us rotten and loving us to pieces.  It could not have been more special or memorable.  We are so grateful we were there with all of you.

14 comments:

Lisa, Adam and Macey said...

Sounds like you had a fun trip. Tell your dad we wish him all the luck in the world. Many prayers will be offered on his behalf :)

Heather said...

what a year ahead of you.... i'm so sorry about your dad. i pray all goes well.
happy new year & the fun times ahead!

xox.

Kathi said...

Thanks, Jo.
And keep those prayers coming for awhile, everybody!

Anne said...

Each one of these pictures makes me laugh and cry and the same time. 2010...(pause for a deep breath) here we come. Thanks for the wonderful Christmas everyone. Love you all!

Sara said...

Jo, I'm so sorry!
He is such an amazing man! "larger than life" is the perfect way to describe him.
We are thinking and praying for your family.
I love all those photos!
Your kids are just so sweet. my favorite is the one of the three on the couch!!!! Sarah's face, looking at the boys opening their gifts is just precious!! I clicked on it to make it big and just stared at her little smile.
Glad you had a great Christmas
I love you and your Dad!!!

Jana said...

Warm wishes & prayers sending ur dad & ur family's way! :)

Kristi said...

Aw Jo, I am so sorry to hear about your dad, I know how you adore him. I've never met him in person but he must be so great! My prayers will go out to him and all of your family this coming year.

And uh, next time you come to Utah I must see you. It's been way way way tooo long.

JoAnna said...

This trip was just for my dad so sorry we didn't get to see anyone while we were there. Maybe next time!

Elise said...

I'm so glad it was a blast... and I hope no one got sick this time!
new decade... new life... new experiences...
I swear I've seen your dad before. What a great man! We will keep him in our prayers.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
E

Natalie said...

What a year huh? Very well written post. I loved it all. I couldn't even comment yesterday, partly because you said it all, and partly because, well, you know how it is to have to look forward to this. He is such an amazing man in so many ways. Those pictures are just perfect. That was seriously the best Christmas ever and I am beyond glad that you came. Thanks everyone for your prayers.

Abi said...

Man this year will be epic!
And did any of you get sick this time? I am hoping that this trip no one got ill.
Here is to your 2010!

emily said...

i still think that you are the spitting image of your dad! seeing these pictures of him brings back funny memories. remember when he would visit san diego, take pictures of himself and then send them to you? i am wishing all the best for him and your family this year.

Anna said...

Your dad really is larger than life to so many - myself included. I love and admire him! I'm so glad you got to spend the holidays together. I'm sure it was so, so good.

Camilla Millar said...

Wow!! You've got quite a year ahead of you. Wishing you love, luck, and everything in between. . . .