Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Gracie's First Few Days

As I said earlier, Gracie had a bit of a rough start...

...The first night, I noticed that my new little bundle made a little noise with each breath.  It was positively adorable.  Like a purring kitten or something.  But as time went on, it became a little disconcerting.  It didn't seem quite right.  The nurse was concerned as well so we sent her to the nursery for the peds to watch over her.  She didn't breastfeed at all through the night and her oxygen levels were not quite within the comfortable range.  The doctors became concerned with all these little pieces of the puzzle floating around, therefore they decided to admit her into the Level 2 Nursery and hand her over to the Neonatal care. 

There they did some chest x-rays and heel pokes and diagnosed the problem---  a miniscule pneumothorax (a pocket of air in the lungs) as well as a bit of amniotic fluid in the lungs.  Double whammy.  (But not really a whammy since they were both so minor.)  The two issues combined were causing her some breathing difficulties for sure.  They put her in a little isolette and got some oxygen flowing, gave her an IV (since she wasn't eating very well), and hooked her up to all sorts of monitors.  But that was the most invasive they got.  (Besides the several heel pokes that came over the next few days.)  Both issues usually work themselves out on their own in newborns and we were positive that would be the case with Gracie.  It was.

I was discharged from the hospital on Monday and stayed in Gracie's little special care room that night.  We were very anxious to bring her home the following day.  S&S could not wait for their little sister to become a part of the home!  Come Tuesday, though, Gracie was looking rather jaundiced.  Another heel poke and sure enough... quite jaundiced.  They wanted to keep her another night, just to watch her,and I said, "No way, Jose'!!"  We could not get out of that hospital fast enough!!  (Although, I must interject here that the care was amazing and the nurses- every single one of them- were OUTSTANDING!  For a hospital stay, it could not have been better.)

We agreed to take her in the next day for a follow-up where she endured another heel poke.  We waited on pins and needles through the afternoon to hear if the doctor wanted us to admit her back into the hospital for treatment.  Fingers crossed!  And whew!  We were clear.  The numbers were elevated, but not enough to admit her.  Just enough to have to take her in AGAIN the next day!  At that appt, though, we were told that at this point we can just wait and see what happens.  Today, she is still a little yellowed, but looking much improved.

Speaking of today...
Today, we are all {madly} in love with this little girl.  Today, we cannot get enough of her.  Today, our hearts melted every time she opened her eyes.  Today, we were so proud that she found her thumb and sucked on it.  Today, we thanked Heavenly Father for sending her to us.  (And today she broke out with her newborn rash.)

11 comments:

Sara K. said...

Congratulations! Gracie Jayne is beautiful. Glad to hear she's doing well! LOVE NICU nurses, they're the best, amazing hands and hearts to heal the little ones. Enjoy your new precious bundle.

Shellie said...

Such a precious picture of your two girls! I seriously cannot wait to hold her!

WIKKY said...

so glad she is doing well! so sweet! love that cute sister's pic!

Sara said...

I'm so sorry about your rough little start. Even minor setbacks that work themselves out, are so scary and stressful.
She is the Sweetest! I love that picture!! Sarah's going to be such a good big sister.
I love in your last post the way you described "the rush of heaven she brought with her". She IS heaven!

Heather said...

glad that all is well. she is darling. love the big sis. with her!! it makes me a little baby hungry...i said just a little. ;)tomorrow i'm sure i will feel different since my 2 year old still wakes me up in the middle of the night. why can't they just stay in cribs til they are 4!!!!
have so fun with your new bundle!
xoxo.

Angie said...

Oh my goodness! I had no idea all of that happened. I can only imagine how you must have been feeling! Phew! I'm SOOOOO glad it all worked out. Both my kids had jaundice bad and had to be under those silly lights for several days. Not fun! Oh these pictures are so cute and you can see how in love Sarah is with her! Man oh man, I wish we lived closer!

Angie Birkeland said...

Oh Jo....she is so adorable. I am so happy she is finally here safe and sound. A little rocky at first it sounds like, but these little ones are fighters. It's us parents that have the hard time. I hope you are feeling good. I am glad to see Sam and Sarah being super helpers. Can't wait to see more and more pics. Love you!

Natalie said...

I am so glad she is ok now and that you had such good care. I LOVED what you said about her bringing a rush of heaven with her. That is exactly what these little ones do. When you look for a place in PA, maybe you can find a place next door for me?

Dinah said...

Look at that precious little one!! I am so glad you are home and healthy! We have been praying for you. Congratulations!

Camilla Millar said...

Whew! Glad things are okay. And I'm with you. . . .life is just better at home even if they are great at the hospital.

Catherine Call said...

SO SO SO SO SO BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations, dear friend!!