In case you are interested in making your own {chore charts} like the ones I posted, [here] is where I got the idea. They are working well so far. The kids LOVE marking off what they've done with their own markers. We shall see how it holds up as the year goes on.
In case you are looking for ideas for your family, here is what we do:
~The kids get $2 allowance each Saturday. However, they will be deducted 10 cents for every chore that is not completed through the week. (I am working on not nagging them to complete their chores and just letting the consequence be the teacher.) I also list one bonus job per week on their chore chart that they can do to earn an extra 10 cents each time they do it.
~To be clear, we choose to define "chores" as the routine things that we do on a daily basis for example- brush teeth, prayers, get lunch ready, pack your backpack, or do homework, etc. We define "jobs" as the things we do to keep the house clean and orderly. The kids are assigned one "job" a day as one of their "chores."
~I made a list of jobs according to what would help me get and keep the house clean and what their skill level is. For example, clean bathroom counters, clean toilets, empty garbage cans, etc. I also made a list of {bonus} jobs they can do on Saturdays or once their other job is completed in order to earn extra money. For example, clean out the car of garbage/junk, wash windows, sweep front porch or back deck, etc.
~We also have a rule that anything left on the stairs once they are gone for school goes into a time-out basket. They have to earn these items back with a "bonus job."
As with every system I try to put into place in our family, I know this will not be effective forever. But for now, it is EXACTLY what we all need. Each of us is desperate for some routine, order, and organization after our crazy summer.
I also recognize that it is designed specifically for our family, so it may not work for you. But I thought I'd share what we are doing in case you are looking for some ideas for your family.
6 comments:
OMG i love the time out bucket!! that will start for me on monday. they will be earning there whole toy room & bedroom back!!! :)
Those are so cute! I think I have tried about 10 different chore charts but those are the cutest! I might have to give that a shot! Thanks for sharing :)
These are so fantastic. I am a little bit jealous that you have such good kids. Jake is so overwhelmed on school days, so some weeks he only does about 2 jobs. Others, he does more... but ah the consistency you have going is wonderful.
JoAnna, I just sat at my computer and RIPPED OFF this system in it's entirety! It's JUST what we need! You rock. My kids have no idea what's going to hit them at FHE tonight!
I really like how you've framed them and use a dry-erase marker. What a cute idea! I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to tackle the "chore chart" myself. I almost hate to start it because as of now, they are actually pretty good about cleaning up when I ask them to, but I do want them to try to start learning how to manage their money, so I know I need to start soon. THanks for the cute ideas!
Wow! You are amazing and so organized!
love the cute charts. Great ideas! Hope all is well with you guys.
love, Marissa
Post a Comment