Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Confessions of a Pleasantly Plump Mama

Welcome to the new me.  Pleasantly Plump.

I have always struggled with my weight.  Unfortunately, the stress of parenthood has really taken a toll on me and my weight has steadily climbed for the last 6 years.

Throughout those 6 years, I have been on just about every diet you can imagine, trained for marathons, and exercised regularly.  I have gained and lost and gained and lost.  I have failed over and over again.  I have felt ashamed.  I have felt proud.  I have hated myself.  I have loved myself.  I have felt desperate and out of control.  I have felt hopeful and in control.  I have avoided seeing people from my past.  I have dreaded trips home.

I find myself noticing other pleasantly plump moms that seem to have things together and saying to myself, "See, I can still be a good person and be pleasantly plump."

I am still me.  I am still good.

Yes, I need to be healthy.  No, I cannot settle into this weight.  Yes, I have to keep trying.  But, no matter what, I am still me.  I am still good.

9 comments:

[BrookeO] said...

JO!!!!!!!!
If I could I would run right over and squeeze ya, I miss your guts. Please call me tomorrow, I miss you more than you could ever know :)

Loveyou!

Janee said...

I am right there with you. Exercise my butt off but never drop a pound. You've done it before and can do it again. In the meantime, you are still you.

Deb said...

Thank you for posting this. Yesterday I went to the gym for a class that was in a different room than I normally am in -- one that has a MIRROR WALL. So I had to watch my self wiggle and shake for an hour. I was sad and defeated all day. But I'm still me, and nothing is different than it was two days ago. Just the mirror.

Heather said...

xo. i hear ya [LOUD & CLEAR] i feel the same way right now. i am in a slump. i have tried out Zumba the last couple of weeks... no go. the minute i saw myself wiggle & giggle i cried when i got home & thought i am never going to get this weight off.
i look at people who have had the same number of kids that i have or MORE & they are back to their same size like they haven't even had any!! NOT fair. but, like you i am still me. i am good & it just takes time.
o.k. a little secret.. if maybe i would just not eat the yummy brownies or treats that are in front of me...well you get the picture!!!! ;) trust me you are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Natalie said...

Jo - this is the best post. So honest. SO HARD, this struggle. It is unbelievable and in today's world, I sometimes feel like a pariah with the excess weight. Interesting, awful, horrible, crazy struggle.

Natalie said...

And, isn't it funny how we would feel like we are somehow not good just because of excess weight? And I SO do that 100%. But you are still you, and still absolutely amazing.

Sara said...

Great post Jo!
It came at the perfect time for me.
I've totally noticed great people like that too...and start to wonder why I get so down when there's a little more butter on my biscuit :)
You are gorgeous!!

Marilyn said...

This pleasantly plump grandma likes the way you think!

Angie said...

Jo, you ARE DANG good! You got that right! I think it's so lame that we have to feel this struggle as women! Having just had Noah, I find myself feeling so down sometimes all because my belly is a bowl full of jello and my pants won't fit. I know. I know. Having a baby is a good excuse, but I just think it's so dumb that we feel we have to be "back to normal" ASAP. And then the struggle to maintain or lose, etc. SO DUMB! Why can't we all just be happy with the way we look? Dang you, society!