I honestly don't know why I chose that for the title of the post. It just came to me as I sat down to start typing. While it is mostly just random, I guess on some level, it is appropriate for how I feel these days.
An update is certainly overdue. We have a lot of issues going on in our household, few of which make for fun light-hearted reading, so I have been avoiding blog-land. But if you want a shot of reality, then read on...
Homeschooling is working out well for us. We did decide to withdraw from the online charter school and do our own thing. We have been very happy with our decision. It is very challenging for me, but I wouldn't trade it. Sam and Sarah love it and never ever wish they were back in the regular school. Gracie loooves having them around all day.
Sam is growing up quickly. He loves to play outside with his friends, ride his bike, play street hockey, and read voraciously. We cannot keep up with his reading habit. The librarians think we are nuts when we check out 80 books at a time and come back a week later for more. Homeschooling has been a tremendous blessing for him. He is much happier. It has also helped us to recognize his attention difficulties and face them head-on. (I feel like this is a theme in my life right now--- "Face it head-on." I'm fine with that. I just wish I didn't have to face it all head-on at one time.) We are currently in the process of recognizing what these difficulties are and then hopefully we can come up with a plan to help us best deal with them. Sam has an excellent sense of humor and is always ready with a laugh.
Sarah is catching up to her brother in height! It seems she grows a little bit every day, which boggles the mind since she basically survives on an occasional bowl of cereal or smoothie and popsicles. She turns 7 this weekend and is very excited about this. She helps run the household. She is very responsible and has a great mothering instinct. She is mature beyond her years and is delightful to have around. She has developed a love for reading, like her brother and can often be found curled up with a book. She also loves to play outside with the neighborhood kids.
Gracie is, well... Gracie is JOY. We are all madly in love with her. She is an extremely happy, easygoing bundle of cuteness. She keeps herself constantly busy with various activities such as pulling out all of the markers and drawing on herself, scattering paper plates across the kitchen floor, pulling out all of the family's shoes and practice walking in them (knowing that it's funny and hoping for some laughs), digging for the marshmallows in the Lucky Charms, begging for popsicles, spreading a trail of toys throughout the house, reorganizing the silverware drawer, loading the dishwasher with clean dishes, "organizing" the kids' school bins, kissing any stuffed animal she lays eyes on. She is a performer and is 100% silly. She is so grateful to have her brother and sister around all day since they take such great care of her. She is nearly two years old and not talking at all. We think it's because the rest of us talk so much that she just doesn't need to! (We are in the process of getting her evaluated to make sure there is nothing else going on.)
Dave continues to amaze me with his ability to be the sane, wise parent. He continues to work hard and yet manages to give the kids plenty of time and attention. He is the first to recognize when I need a break and is always, always willing to give me one. He brings home crazy Philly trauma stories for us that are next to impossible to believe. (Philly would blow your mind, folks. Blow. Your. Mind.)
As for me- well, I am walking a very fine line of crazy. I enjoy having the kids home and have found it very fulfilling to be doing homeschooling. It has been a tremendous challenge, though, particularly with my depression. Another thing I am forced to face head-on right now.
Overall, we are happy and making the most of life as we know it. We are grateful for all of the growing pains and know that this is the reason we are here.
12 comments:
love you and can't wait to see you!!!
Oh Jo, I love you! Thank you for your strength and honesty. I admire you so much as a woman and a mother. Love you!!!
I laughed, I cried (for real), I loved this post.
It's amazing how sane you sound.
Thank you for the update!!! The lack of posts had me wondering if you guys were ok ;) I'm so glad to hear school is still working out well. So sorry to hear that your depression is in full swing though. I wish I had some great thing to say to help, but just know that my thoughts are prayers are with you. For real. I know people say that, but really. I love and miss you guys so much!!!
Ugh I just wrote a longer comment and lost it, but Oh how I know what you are talking about when you say that what is happening doesn't make for fun reading. I love and miss you guys so much and I loved reading this.
can i just say i love you!! i love your honesty.. i love how you are blunt.. i love that you are real.. i love that you can keep your head up high when things are out.of.control. i love that you do hard things..i love that you can handle things more than i can ever imagine!!!
you are amazing!!!! loved this post & i understand everything you are saying!!!!! :)))))))
p.s. 80 books!?!?! we have a book report due on monday & my daughter can't even read 10 pages without crying!!! hahahaha!
Jo,
You are awesome! I am so interested in the homeschooling. Would you share some of the reasons that brought you to homeschool? What are your plans when you move back to Minnesota? I sounds like even though you feel crazy you really have it all together!
Love form the Jenkins!
Jo...I am so happy things are going well! I have been thinking about you (if this post wasn't here I was going to email you to see how it was going!) It would be fun if you lived closer so you could come on some of our home school outings! You are so amazing! I was going through a box of old college things last week and found some sweet notes from my "bis sister". How lucky was I to have you!?! VERY! :)
So in times of FACING THINGS HEAD ON . . . I have found that the baby in the family is there specifically to be a light and a joy. At least that is what we found with our baby during our FACE THIS HEAD ON shiz part of life. I am grateful for the order of children so much. And sometimes I wish we lived in the same state because after reading this I want to come grab you at 9:30 at night and take you out on the town . . . and yes some inappropriateness would happen, but you would LOVE it!
So good to see a Morris update! Keep strong good woman :) You know that sign that says "Keep calm and carry on"? Well, these days I've changed that to "hang on... hang on...". Forget about the keeping calm thing;) Most days we're lucky to just make it through. Guess life is just like that... ups and downs. Makes the ups pretty nice though! Gotta love our 30's!
Post a Comment